liquid soap with palm olein turns thick creamy white

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I've run out of castor oil so I made new recipe with olive oil 30% ,palm olein 40%,coconut oil 30% ,after diluting, the soap was semi clear ,after about a week or so the soap turned white creamy and thick. I love it ,the soap is fantastic but I need to know what happened to it.
The ph 7-8

Attachments

• 1 (2).jpeg
    1 (2).jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I can't help you because you haven't shared your full recipe. We need all ingredients, all in weights (no percentages) to give decent advice. The recipe should include the alkali and water weights and the amounts of all additives.

There are many methods to make liquid soap, so it's good to also explain how you made the soap to get the best help.

If you've used the correct pH test procedure and good quality, calibrated pH meter, then your pH of 7-8 tells me your white "soap" is mostly fatty acids, not functional soap.

I suspect since you don't give a specific number, that you're using pH test paper, which isn't going to give accurate results in soap, so your pH result really doesn't mean anything.

The pH of functional soap will NEVER be 7-8. The true pH will be somewhere between about 9.5 to about 11.5. The exact number will depend on the fatty acids in the soap.

I can't help you because you haven't shared your full recipe. We need all ingredients, all in weights (no percentages) to give decent advice. The recipe should include the alkali and water weights and the amounts of all additives.

There are many methods to make liquid soap, so it's good to also explain how you made the soap to get the best help.

If you've used the correct pH test procedure and good quality, calibrated pH meter, then your pH of 7-8 tells me your white "soap" is mostly fatty acids, not functional soap.

I suspect since you don't give a specific number, that you're using pH test paper, which isn't going to give accurate results in soap, so your pH result really doesn't mean anything.

The pH of functional soap will NEVER be 7-8. The true pH will be somewhere between about 9.5 to about 11.5. The exact number will depend on the fatty acids in the soap.
Thank you for your reply ,I made the soap in a slowcooker and I've attached my recipe. I've got a ph meter but don't really trust it's readings that's why I tested the soap with ph strips.

Attachments

• palm oil.pdf
    116.6 KB · Views: 0
Hello everyone
I've run out of castor oil so I made new recipe with olive oil 30% ,palm olein 40%,coconut oil 30% ,after diluting, the soap was semi clear ,after about a week or so the soap turned white creamy and thick. I love it ,the soap is fantastic but I need to know what happened to it.
The ph 7-8
Hi I had the same problem I make liquid soap all the time mine looks exactly like yours and the only difference is the palm oil!! I had the same thing happen it starts out clean and the next day it is white . So I guess if we want clear soap we can’t use palm … and I have a gallon of palm oil lol

Hi I had the same problem I make liquid soap all the time mine looks exactly like yours and the only difference is the palm oil!! I had the same thing happen it starts out clean and the next day it is white . So I guess if we want clear soap we can’t use palm … and I have a gallon of palm oil lol
I see ,good thing It wasn't just me.
I liked it a lot especially the thickness of it, as for the color I like it better than the transparent color.

Latest posts

Back