Packaging Poll

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which packaging do you like?

• Candy style full wrap

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Box/envelope style

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Cloth cigar band

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Cardstock cigar band

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • I don't like any of them

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Thank you all for your comments! So the plain cardstock is what I'm doing now and hate how no matter how long you let the bar cure, they always seem to come loose. I love the cloth, just because it is so rustic chic, and that's what I sell. I live in the "west" according to some. The primary occupation here is farmer or rancher, we have a lot of cowboys, etc lol. Everyone who visits here is fascinated by our way of life still and lets be honest, anything "old west/rustic" looking sells, lol. I also like the cloth/jute combo because I think it won't come loose as quickly as the cardstock would. The "package" was a little too time consuming I think for regular production.
I do however like the little box/envelope of number 2. It is an actual envelope/box, it's cardstock, folded around so it covers the bottom and the bar just sits down in it. I think you can still see the product, but the actual soap doesn't get handled as much.
So... I dunno, lol. My family picked the package first, then the cardstock second.
Thanks again for all the input!

You have to think about the sustainability. Let's say you make 24 bars a day. 24 bars to wrap and label in a cute way definitely takes labor, but is doable.

But, two years from now, you land a WholeFoods contract and your etsy site is doing 20+ orders per week and then there's the street festival... suddenly you are doing cute multi-step wrap on hundreds of bars rather than dozens. Your profit is being eaten by your labor. If you like cute wrap, why not offer a basic style, and a gift-wrap or specialty wrap upcharge? Your customers needing gift-type packaging won't mind paying a bit extra, and you're now only wrapping 10 out of 100 bars. Not too bad!

Think brand appropriate, but if you can't see yourself doing it hundreds times a day, skip it.

Latest posts

Back