overheated?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjika

Reaction score
I made my 2nd small batch of soap on monday evening and I think it overheated. I had the mold on a microwave heat pad, wrapped in a towel and forgot to remove the pad for the night. At 10pm it looked fine. This morning it looked like the top was sweating and the liquid zapped when tested. I left it unwrapped.

I cut it this evening and the inside looked fine at first, no zapping, but now also looks like it is sweating and is a high pH. Is this from overheating or something else?

It's a little hard to see in the picture, but all the shiny spot are lye water.

here was my recipe:
Olive oil – 222 g
Coconut oil – 77 g
Cocoa butter - 35 g
Castor Oil – 21 g
Lye – 48 g
Water – 133 g

Lemongrass eo - 9 gram
Lime fo – 1.5 g

I soaped at room temperature, went to a very light trace and added food coloring (don't have any soap colors yet). Then layered in a mdf mold and did a simple swirl. After 2 hours there was no separation so i don't think is was a false trace.

Is it worth waiting for a bit or is a rebatch inevitable? It seems like such a shame to destroy the pretty colors :( I was really proud of it.

I would wait a couple days then test again. It is really pretty, hope it doesn't have to be rebatched.

Those are beautiful colors!

It's normal for soap to be zappy after only 1 day. The liquid will probably get reabsorbed by the soap and it'll be fine. Give it a few more days.

I would just let it sit and see what happens. My soaps never zaps after a full gel & 24 hours but you may have had some overheating so give it time and check it again after a day or so. Love the colors too.

I agree with the others. The lye will still be active for a day or so. Your recipe looks fine, and there's nothing in it that would make your soap prone to overheating. Check it again in a few days.
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Latest posts

Back