Outraged

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WE just got uniforms last year & I do not find it helps a thing. You still have some kids in Walmart uniforms & some in Calvin Klein uniforms.

My biggest gripe about uniforms is, there will be days, when you wake up & ****, you don't have a clean white shirt, which means your child is not allowed to attend school that day, which means a parent has to stay home from work, hope the boss is tolerant on that day!

I was really upset about the uniform issue...but get this...NO logos what so ever. There was a kid wearing a Tommy polo and it had the tiniest logo and they were like you can't wear that again...(There is a lawsuit involving it I believe)...I guess I would rather deal with the logo issues than ever have to deal with the fads and fashions that roll in and out every year.

We were very very lucky this year as my daughter got a more liberal teacher. I asked her about my girl wearing colorful bows and the teacher flat out said "In my class room, yes she can. There is no reason to rob the children if their individuality. But she needs to know that after class, she should probably take it out and put it away" :eek: The teacher also said my four yr old looked like a young Winston Churchill... :roll:

We also bought her all new clothes since she out grew literally everything this month, so we just said to heck with it and only bought school colors. She's on some patriotic kick right now and is fascinated with learning Americas history and such... So she was thrilled with the red white and blue shopping spree :lol:

did anyone hear about that thing where a whole state is going to be making people pay taxes if theyre overweight as in price per pound overweight!?!?

What?

If it's TX we should be able to raise enough cash to pay of the national debit ASAP :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Tabitha said:
did anyone hear about that thing where a whole state is going to be making people pay taxes if theyre overweight as in price per pound overweight!?!?

What?

If it's TX we should be able to raise enough cash to pay of the national debit ASAP :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !

lol yeaaaaaahh... i kinda bawked when i saw that i was like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

One of our schools went to uniforms (this is a school issue not a county issue around here) specifically to try to thwart gangs. So they decided on red, white and blue!! Some stupid parent running the PTA didn't know that read and blue are the main gang colors!! So now the ONLY kids in the school who will wear anything other than white are gangs!! The other kids are too scared to wear anything but white.

So now the ONLY kids in the school who will wear anything other than white are gangs!! The other kids are too scared to wear anything but white.

:roll: Uniforms are supposed to acheive a lot of things but seem to have the opposite effect.

One big reason our district adopted uniforms was so they could see if someone was on campus who shouldn't be, well that did not work cause if you shouldn't be on campus & you put on a white shirt you totally blend in w/ everyone else.

"Who hit you?"
"Ummmmm, a kid in a white shirt!"

Our kids can not wear pants/shorts/skirts w/ more than 4 pockets, 2 front & 2 back cause they might hide a knife in the 5th pocket. What? They don't thikn a knife would fit in the first 4? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Another great school plan is to require everyone to sign in at the office if they visit the school, but they do not check ID. I get a kick out of writing Peter Pan :roll: :roll: :roll: Picking up my visitors badge & entering the school anyway, just to prove a point. I do think it is important to sign in, I just know they need to pair that w/ validating IDs.

Lane said:
IanT said:
On a side note dealing with the BMI on the report card...did anyone hear about that thing where a whole state is going to be making people pay taxes if theyre overweight as in price per pound overweight!?!? wooooah!
Thought that issue was in Japan?

When I went to school in Iowa, I had to pay for everything, enrollment, extra classes, locker fees, graduation fees... My husband and I lived on our own Senior year and paid these costs out of OUR pocket, him working a 20 hour a week job to pay rent so we didn't have to drop out of school. I was pregnant and since I technically did not have a child yet, I was not exempt from anything, also no aid, nothing. It was like they WANTED us to drop out. We showed them...Graduated on High Honors in the top 5% of our class. :wink:

Anyway, I just enrolled my daughter in first grade out here in Vegas... NO enrollment fees, no fees at all! They give every parent a list of supplies that are to be "community supplies" But it says in big bold on the top of the sheet..."Your child will be provided with materials through the Clark County School District. You are in no way responsible for supplying the class room materials, but any and all help is appreciated" Heck yeah! If you ask me nicely, sure I'll help! We went out and spent $50 just on supplies for the class...If they would have told us we HAD to...I wouldn't have sent in a darn thing....

We also have school uniforms...and me being the rebel in school, I was outraged at this...and then I realized how much stress is taken off the child when they all have to dress alike..no logos, no brand names...It makes character and behavior more important than a fifty dollar pair of jeans... Not happy about buying all new clothes, but the school even had an open house recycle drive for gently used uniform clothes.

Also, as soon as your child gets to fourth grade, the state will FUND HOME SCHOOLING, if you want to take your child out of public school! HOW cool is that??

Funding homeschooling 4th grade and up? What?!
Why don't they fund preschool or K and up to 4th graders? That's the most critical time for a child"s learning and structure.

It might not be so cool when the state funding dictates to the parents what your child's curriculum will be.But I guess it would be okay, what they decide,why not the parents just got the funding for it. Technically your child is still in the public school,just at home.But the public schools still get there money for each child.It doesn't matter where there little bodies are.

If they have the funding to fund the parents,for the decisions that the parents make.why doesn't the state provide all the teaching materials that the kids in public/private schools need to begin with? That started this topic?
The system is flawed, and the only one's who are benefiting from it all are the school administrators and politicians.

I'd also like to know what the states funds, for homeschooling. Are they paying the parents,providing all the materials,field trips,clothes.. ?? :shock: Do the parents have restrictions on the spending?

My post isn't intended to criticize you or anyone else here.That's not my intentions at all!
I was shocked and still am a bit to read about the funding is all.And to point out how it's flawed on both sides of the fence. Please don't take it personally.It's not you,It's them.

Munky.

Where I'm at, the public school system forces parents to buy expensive uniforms. I actually send my son to private school and it is very costly. I am shocked that this system insists on uniforms for these kids. If my son went there. He would be in jeans and a t-shirt. Nonsense!

Wow, we did not have school uniforms, but we had a strict but reasonable dress code that worked well. If you violated it, you were sent home. Since the micro mini was in, most girls wore pants. Now, I have shirts with more fabric to them than the dresses I wore. :lol: :lol: I wore a shirt over my halter top to take off after school. Oh wait........I forgot it was a different world then.

I do think a dress code could work if enforced. You will always have kids with $$ clothes and those who do not. Just like when they grow up and enter the work force. Uniforms are fine....IF they are truly uniform and all parents can provide them. If your kid does have nicer clothes, maybe teach them that they are fortunate, if not, then show that clothes do not make them who they are. Their brains will take them further. I do realize that fitting in is important to kids, but developing self esteem is so much more. JMHO.

Digit

I agree, Digit. A good dress code should definately be enforced rather than forcing parents that are at or below poverty to purchase expensive French Toast uniforms. Most of our public schools (in my city) are in real academic trouble. I'd think that education should be the main order of business.

Latest posts

Back