Orange Juice Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I originally posted this in “What Soapy Thing” thread, but at the suggestion of another member I’m giving it its own thread as it’s kind of an experiment. I have three large jugs of orange juice with a Best Use date that ended three months ago. It’s a little bit darker than a fresh jar and it’s probably OK to drink but I didn’t want to take a chance. I didn’t want to throw it out either LOL so I thought...hey let me try to make soap with it! Everything’s a possible soap additive anymore. I used the OJ as full water replacement. I froze it first and then slowly added the lye. It turned a bit amber colored as it heated up. I could probably have added the lye even slower. I also added powdered orange peel which I had dried and grated. I love the little specs from the orange peel powder. I scented with Orange 10x, Satsuma and Lily Lemon Drop. I added a small amount of titanium dioxide to one part of the batter and a darker orange to another. I love the color of the base and I’m wondering if it’s gonna stick around. I couldn’t find too much information on adding orange juice in particular so I guess this will be an experiment. I will update in a couple months. Does anyone have any experience with adding OJ as 100% liquid?

Attachments

• 151FBBBD-2B00-48CC-A20B-A6D323025688.jpeg
    151FBBBD-2B00-48CC-A20B-A6D323025688.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 37
The soap looks pretty. The color in orange juice is from carotenoids, similar to carrots and pumpkin, which tend to stick around in soap longer than some of the other plant pigments. If you didn't correct for the citric acid in the orange juice, you will have more superfat than planned. Details on that, courtesy of DeeAnna's Soapy Stuff, here: Soapy Stuff: Citric acid, Citrus juice

The soap looks pretty. The color in orange juice is from carotenoids, similar to carrots and pumpkin, which tend to stick around in soap longer than some of the other plant pigments. If you didn't correct for the citric acid in the orange juice, you will have more superfat than planned. Details on that, courtesy of DeeAnna's Soapy Stuff, here: Soapy Stuff: Citric acid, Citrus juice

Thank you! I reduced the superfat to 3% although I read on a post from awhile back that OJ didn’t add to the SF like lemon juice would. Not sure that information was correct or not so I reduced it.

I've used fresh OJ in soap that I scented with orange and bitter almond and used the grated fresh peel as well for color. Here's what I posted about it.
I ended up doing blood orange soap as well and it was just slightly darker orange.

I've used fresh OJ in soap that I scented with orange and bitter almond and used the grated fresh peel as well for color. Here's what I posted about it.
I ended up doing blood orange soap as well and it was just slightly darker orange.

I just saw this response which is funny because I JUST yesterday made another OJ soap. I had a new to me scent (Sweet Orange Chili Pepper (NG) and decided to use the OJ again. I used orange peel powder again but also colored two parts with two different orange micaS and the light part I added some TD. Here’s a pic. How did your orange juice soap hold up? Did it keep its color?
14E24C81-0BC5-432D-8FB4-A48AE7A9064F.jpeg

Latest posts

Back