Opposite of water discount...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lori H.

Reaction score
Hello! I'm sure this has probably been discussed but I'm apparently not typing in the correct search terms to find it.

The way I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that a water discount is good for shortening the dry/cure time; maybe making a thicker batter to help with swirls and layers. Is there any other reason to want to work with a water discount?

And how about the opposite... Is there ever a good reason to use MORE water than a soap calculator specifies? Would that just increase the drying/curing time and/or how long before one can unmold? Maybe it would be useful to increase the water amount when using a fragrance oil that accelerates trace?

Thanks for helping me wrap my head around it! :)

A water discount does not shorten the cure time unfortunately. There’s more to curing soap then losing water. The soap structure changes and becomes milder and the PH can lose wear a bit.

Less water also helps with glycerin rivers, the more water used the quicker and hotter it seems to gel.

I generally soap at 30-33% depending on what I want to do and the recipe. The more water/liquid the less I need to insulate and it may require longer in the mold.

Latest posts

Back