Opinions wanted for palm recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have 35 - 40 lbs of palm I want to use up for basic soap that I will donate to the Lost Boys of Sudan. I want to keep costs to a minimum, and have asked the president of the org. to pay for the lye and coconut. I can use up some older soft oils, and buy inexpensive but lovely ho sunflower oil. (I'm thinking of leaving out the castor)

I also have some aging shea, mango, and cocoa butter to use up. I played around with these ingredients last year, and didn't like the outcomes - guess that makes me a dedicated life-time lardinator! Very slow to lather, and very weak lather with 20% co and 5% or less butters.

Thought I'd do a variation on the classic 30/30/30 recipe; 40 palm, 25 soft oils, 20 co, 5% butter?

My goal is to use up ingredients, spend as little money as possible, yet have a recipe that will encourage people who don't normally use soap and water (it's a cultural thing) to wash their hands....often....in case this new virus continues to spread. Thoughts?

I use 44% palm with 17-18% CO/PKO split 8% shea and my soap lathers good. The trick is I do use dual lye at 95/5% NaOH/KOH if you happen to have KOH to use up. So you should be fine with 40% palm

I do have some KOH, about 2 lbs! at 5% KOH that should be plenty for 40 lbs of soap. And if I lower the co to 17 to 18 percent, I can make at least 50 lbs of soap with the items supplied by the Lost Boys charity! Almost 200 bars of soap!!

Amazon has a gallon of rice bran oil for $18 - so I'll stretch my soft oil supply with that. That's quite a good bargain I think.

Latest posts

Back