Oops!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eleraine

Reaction score
I thought of making some soap with juice so went ahead, put in some frozen passion fruit (around 42 gms) juice with water (180 gms) and lye (97 gms) to a recipe that is 8% superfat.

Then I come into this forum and discover that if I use too much citrus, I won't get soap. AIIIII.

Now am hoping that I actually get soap.

Post your entire recipe including amounts of each ingredient used and the amount of lye discount (superfat) and maybe we can help.

Chances are, the amount of juice you used is too small to make a difference.

YAY! I got very nice soap...so far. :lol:

The brown specks are actually dried grated zest.

6789089339_90d5fbc386_o.jpg

Am waiting to see if the cure will make it better. :D

it's lovely!
and don't worry about soaping with juice. tomato juice is acidic and I regularly use it in place of the water in my soaps.

Hmmm. I am learning something new here... Are there recent past discussions that I should catch up on? Never tried using acidic juices in soap before, but I would have assumed it to be fine. If the acid in the juice won't burn me, then it won't hurt the lye, ya know? And you say citrus, is that it? If I had to guess a fruit juice that would ruin soap, my first guess would have been pineapple.. very interesting..

Healinya said:
Hmmm. I am learning something new here... Are there recent past discussions that I should catch up on? Never tried using acidic juices in soap before, but I would have assumed it to be fine. If the acid in the juice won't burn me, then it won't hurt the lye, ya know? And you say citrus, is that it? If I had to guess a fruit juice that would ruin soap, my first guess would have been pineapple.. very interesting..

Citric juices are acidic; lye is alkaline. Adding too much acid will not "hurt" your lye but it will neutralize your solution somewhat depending on the amount and strength of the acid used.

I see, I understand that... I just never thought that the acid in juice held a candle to the ph of lye..

Back