Oops! Salt bars with 1:1 CO to OO-what should I do?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mouse

Reaction score
And what should I expect? It's just a small 1lb test batch that I ran on Jasmine FO from Peak, but it smells amazing and I really want to salvage it! It was poured 5 hours ago and it's still sticky and not really setting up. 20% superfat. I always have wondered why CO is the preferred oil-is this why? Will it just stay a gooey mess? And what happens if I try to rebatch a salt bar? :cry:

Hi Mouse! Are you saying that your salt bar recipe was 50% CO/50% OO with a 20% superfat? I've never attempted such a combo myself or used a 20% superfat with that particular amount of OO, but since this is a test batch afterall, and since there is 50% CO as well as salt in it, I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet (lots of interesting variables at play here). If it were me, I would let the test run its full course to see what happens (i.e. unmolding when firm enough, cutting into bars, and curing). If you decide to do so- and I hope you do- don't forget to take notes, and please let us know how things turn out!

I always have wondered why CO is the preferred oil-is this why?

CO is preferred for salt bars because of its phenomenal ability to lather in salt water as compared to other oils, which pretty much just fizzle out in the presense of salt.

Will it just stay a gooey mess?

Although I don't have first-hand knowledge to be able to predict with 100% certainty whether such a formula I will remain gooey or not since I've never made such a formula, my collective soaping experiences cause me to believe that with all that CO and salt in there that it should firm up just fine eventually.

I would wait it out and see what happens.

IrishLass :)

Your problem is the 20% superfat, which may be a bit too much. I've tried something similar with a lower superfat and it was a nice soap.

But I'm guessing yours will still harden and make a decent soap - with less lather.

Not sure it's possible to rebatch salt soap, unless you wash away the salt, which is too much work anyway.

I made these in individual flower molds since it was a small batch and I didn't want to worry about the cut for a salt bar. Last night there was some cracking, which I "fixed" by pressing down on the soaps-the exposed end is the back of the soaps anyway, shich I will trim later.
This morning I unmolded them-they aren't as hard as a normal CO salt soap, but still pretty hard. The flower mold I used has a very intricate petal design, and only 1 out of 6 soaps ended up losing parts of their petals from unmolding/softness.
It will be interesting to see how this turns out!! It was a complete accident, but I've always wondered who came up with the CO rule for salt soap, why, and what would happen with a different recipe :)
I'll try to post photos tonight. I cut the batch in half and did one half water and green clay, and the other half brewed jasmine green tea, with extra ground tea leaves for fun. It's swirled, but the color difference is quite subtle.

Latest posts

Back