Olive Oil vs Extra Virgin OO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I ask a question...?

From reading Extra virgin olive oil and virgin olive oil gives a white bar..., right?

Why I have seen the ingredients used in various soap sellers that write eg. virgin olive oil BUT the soap is green? :shock::roll:

Soaps made with high percentages of EVOO and virgin OO are going to have a greenish tint.

What might be a high percentage? A 63% EVOO is it considered high? I have made a soap with this amount of EVOO and is creamy white...

I am inserting a link that I have found that shows a chamomile olive soap using solely EVOO and is white, ok cream but not green...

I have no idea whos the site is and I used it only to show that I have seen also other EVOO that give this creamy white color...

http://www.olivesandtrees.com/#!beauty--health/c5u4

On the other hand pls check the following site, again I have no idea whos is, and tells that pomace gives a green soap...

http://www.zoya.bg/en/Natural-Olive-Pomace-Oil-Soap-Green-–-100-g.5389

:shock:

I'm just throwing this out there. I use high olive oil content, though not 60%. However, I've noticed that different batches of olive oil in the bottle, same brand, can look vastly different in color. So, I tend to buy the lightest, and I keep TD to a minimum. If I get too high an OO content in my bars, I notice a bit of a slimy feeling for lack of a better word. How do you avoid that?

I always was told 72% or better was high. The Marseille, Castile, and Bastile soaps. Sorry if my spelling is off, it's early here.

IF the oils are green, the soap will be greenish. Any pure white bars made with high amounts of those oils almost certainly have TD(titanium dioxide) added to give that whiteness.

I think quoting myself is rude, so please forgive me. I did qualify that statement with IF. I have found EVOO ranging from just yellow to forest green. The color of the oil used in high percentages will affect the color of the soap UNLESS you do something to change that.

I don't make high OO soaps. I did not like a 50% OO soap I bought. Just did not care for that feel. I have, however, had a dark green EVOO change the color of my normally cream colored soap at as low as 30%.

Judge for yourself by trying different OOs. You will soon see.

I think quoting myself is rude, so please forgive me. I did qualify that statement with IF.

Ok, I understood... an EVOO that is veeeery green is actually a fresh oil... Fresh squeezed oils, have this color and are more expensive... over time, not much of course, EVOO mellows and turns a green that gives a creamy white...

In my experience an 100% e.v.o.o. soap without any additives is always white. So, if you see in the market an 100% olive oil soap with other color, something happens...

Me, too. My 100% evoo baby style soap I make is mostly very light cream like white but my pure pomace oo is whiter.
I don't use any TD at all to make it white. My EVOO is very dark green.

Last edited:
Ok, I understood... an EVOO that is veeeery green is actually a fresh oil... Fresh squeezed oils, have this color and are more expensive... over time, not much of course, EVOO mellows and turns a green that gives a creamy white...

Actually whether I CP it or HP 100 % EVOO it turns white it's not green.

Last edited:
reallyrita said:
1. cost Extra virgin is much more expensive than light or extra light and it
adds nothing extra to the soap

Extra v.o.o. is particurarly rich in antioxidants like "squalene". Squalene is the main of the UNSAPONIFIED ingredients of olive oil and the most precious. So it's desireable to apply olive oil on our skin or to wash our body with an extra v.o.o. soap. Many contemporary studies prove the anti-aging and even anti-cancer qualities of squalene. Google it.

I am a big fan of EVOO, it's the oil number one in our home, I don't use it only for eating, cooking and making soap but also I use it for messaging my face at night, it does miracles to the sensitive skin, it provides
enormous protection against skin cancer. I don't use it during the sunny days unless I like to have bronze color. Also I use it for all kinds of pain, it has a lot of calming, soothing and anti germs properties. It works much better than any pill for bone pain for me. We use it a lot for massaging babies after the shower because it keeps their immune system strong and aids them to have good deep night sleep. During the colds I rub my nose, my chest and my back with EVOO; it helps to breathe much better and sleep very well. For the little ones when they are very congested I warm it up slightly then spread it over soft gauze pad with double thick layers for extra cushioning that locks it in over the chest, then I add one layer of very soft thin plastic like clear wrapping plastic to prevent it from spotting on their clothes. On their feet I rub the warm EVOO with Vicks, I may add very little amount of ground cloves to the oil. It also helps. At the end I have to put socks on their feet. To get the maximum benefit of the EV olive oil it needs to be messaged for 15-20 minutes. After this application 90 % of the symptoms will disappear. I have some friends from other countries use EVOO for soothing the baby's tummy and for diaper rashes. Their babies do not suffer any rashes problem with EVOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I soap exclusively with extra virgin olive oil, not by choice, its just the only thing i can get my hands on, no one sells anything else here, so let me tell you, extra virgin olive oil soap ALWAYS has a green tint to it, its never ever white or creamy.

i've used a bunch of brands and all of them made a soap with a green tint except one that turned out white, the oil was expired and from a really shady dealer so i'm pretty sure it wasn't even extra virgin.

I do not want to rain on your parade , but wrapping children in plastic foil which is made from mineral oil, and is carcinogenic, it is not really smart choice.......... EVOO is just an olive oil and mostly it is mixed with sunflower oil. 4o years ago they used goat fat and badger fat for it. It did not do harm that's for sure. I have asthma and as a child I was exposed to this methods and it was nightmare ......
Pomace OO has a greenish tint

I do not want to rain on your parade , but wrapping children in plastic foil which is made from mineral oil, and is carcinogenic, it is not really smart choice.......... EVOO is just an olive oil and mostly it is mixed with sunflower oil. 4o years ago they used goat fat and badger fat for it. It did not do harm that's for sure. I have asthma and as a child I was exposed to this methods and it was nightmare ......
Pomace OO has a greenish tint

I don't know where did you read about wrapping children with plastic foil? What I said is that [FONT=&quot] I add one layer of very soft thin plastic like clear wrapping plastic[/FONT][FONT=&quot] over a [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]soft gauze pad with double thick layers for extra cushioning so the oil will not get on their clothes. The plastic goes between the thick gauze and the clothes, I do that when they are very congested. It takes few minutes for them to breathe very well and go in deep sleep.

As for the EVOO if you didn't get the original one that is not mixed with anything it doesn't mean that it's not existed. I had the pleasure to be around different countries where the farmers will cold press their crops of fresh olives right in front the customer who is waiting. It tastes, smells and feels great.
Also, there are dozens of varieties of olives[/FONT][/FONT] that contribute to the quality of EVOO. It varies from country to another, the soil and water also make difference.
I treated my Azma and my children's Azma with EVOO, we didn't need to use any type of medication any more. Maybe it's not easy to do that, I was determined to help myself and my children, it did take me time and effort like taking shower twice a day and keep washing plenty of clothes with bedsheets everyday because I am sensitive to any smell on clothes or the bedsheets due to any treatment. The results were clearly noticeable that what helped me to go on. I wanted to remove extra chemicals from my children's bodies because they started experiencing different side effect that made me unhappy.
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
The pomace OO that I order from different places here doesn't give me any green tint. It's interesting though to hear from different soap makers from different places in the world about their own experiences with EVOO and pomace OO.

I am in touch with physicians who use natural healing methods with adults and children. I enjoy and love the natural healing methods but some people might have different point of view. It's OK with me.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:
EVOO is just an olive oil and mostly it is mixed with sunflower oil.

absolutely ridiculous, EVOO is most definitely not olive+sunflower oil, and its also not just regular olive oil, it is the oil produced from First Cold pressing of the olives.

regular olive oil is made by pressing the already pressed olives several times until nothing can be extracted anymore, most of the time regular olive oil is not cold pressed, the oil is heated and processed (what results in a white bar of soap).

pomace is even worse and is not really fit for consumption, they press/cook all of the leftovers from the previous presses, leaves, branches, skins, already pressed olive flesh and seeds.
what they end up with a an olive oil that is not very pure at all, contains a whole lot of free fatty acids and might contain contaminants since its not intended for consumption and therefor is not regulated.

hud, I don't know if you live in the US or not, but if that is what you do to your children when they are ill, and you live in the US, Child Protective Services would take a really dim view of that "medical treatment" for your children.

regular olive oil is made by pressing the already pressed olives several times until nothing can be extracted anymore, most of the time regular olive oil is not cold pressed, the oil is heated and processed (what results in a white bar of soap).

SoapBro, do you mean by regular olive oil is the yellow or light yellow color oil that usually labeled as Olive Olive only?
Why some times the same quality comes with dark color? I used EVOO all my life, and when I started making soap my soap makers friends referred me to pomace oo, but I am not familiar with the quality in between.
Thank you in advance.

hud, I don't know if you live in the US or not, but if that is what you do to your children when they are ill, and you live in the US, Child Protective Services would take a really dim view of that "medical treatment" for your children.

Susie, wherever I am living I am not violating any rules or regulation. Thank you for caring.
I didn't mention the term "medical treatment" where did you get it from?

Soapbro what planet are you living on? Have you not read about adding sunflower oil to EVOO to make the quantity. Italy and Spain a huge OO producers started to do it for some time. Anyway I stopped believing in EXTRA and Organic a long time ago. Where is money the faking exist .

hud your practice is more like from 14 century and it would not approved in Europe either. The rules about safety of children are kind of the same Europe or Us or Canada.

Hud-

"For the little ones when they are very congested I warm it up slightly then spread it over soft gauze pad with double thick layers for extra cushioning that locks it in over the chest, then I add one layer of very soft thin plastic like clear wrapping plastic to prevent it from spotting on their clothes. On their feet I rub the warm EVOO with Vicks, I may add very little amount of ground cloves to the oil. It also helps. At the end I have to put socks on their feet. To get the maximum benefit of the EV olive oil it needs to be messaged for 15-20 minutes until the skin absorbs it very well and it doesn't give any greasy feeling. After this application 90 % of the symptoms will disappear. I have some friends from other countries use EVOO for soothing the baby's tummy and for diaper rashes. Their babies do not suffer any rashes problem with EVOO.
I used EVOO when my children and I had Azma, gradually the symptoms started to fade away. Finally we stopped all the medications because there was no need to use it.

I treated my Azma and my children's Azma with EVOO, we didn't need to use any type of medication any more."

No matter how you choose to look at it, you are saying your treat their illnesses with EVOO. That is you "medicating" them.

When someone says it I have a hard time to believe it, even I am old woman, senior to be exact. I thought that "healing" like that does not happen anymore. Oh boy I am wrong
"Using hemp oil, kills 95% of cancer cells, using Coconut oil heals cavities, putting crystal on your forehead opens third eye" oh fairy tales, what is very sad; in this age with such easy access to information people still believe it. I use Coconut oil for cooking for over 5 years due it high smoke point and I had not lose miraculously my beautiful belly fat......... :roll:

Last edited:
Back