Olive Oil vs Extra Virgin OO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olive Oil versus Extra Virgin OO

1. cost Extra virgin is much more expensive than light or extra light and it
adds nothing extra to the soap

2. odor Extra Virgin has a stronger smell than the light and could come
through in some recipes, especially unscented ones.

3. color Light OO and extra light OO contribute to making a whiter soap.
If you color your soap this is also important because the deeper
tones of the extra virgin will affect your colorant...especially if
the oil has a green tinge to it.

I also was wondering! Thank you for posting this!

ditto on the price...I can get pomace for 1/2 the cost of evoo, regular for approx 2/3. If I want green tinged soap I go the pomace,& for everything else the reg(or lite if I can find it on sale)
Hey Vonna,don't know exactly where you are,but I get reg. 100% OO from aldi 4L/$22...& pomace from a wholesale deli in West End 4L for $17 :) :)

so you just use pomace instead of OO in a recipe? I've seen where people say they use it but I have no idea what it is :oops:

can you find pomace in the stores or do you order it online?

And that's very helpful!

I'll look and see what I find here and look more closely at the oils in the store. I haven't really looked into the difference between the different OO's.

Pomace, definitley.

Much cheaper than VOO. But check the label, a lot of Pomace is mixed with soy or cottonseed oil. (KTC in the UK)

Not sure if I would use it for cooking. I ran out of OO for a tomatoe salad tonight and used Rice Bran instead. Pomace just doesn't appeal to me in food.

artisan soaps said:
[quote="artisan soaps":24u4j1zf]I actually find in my Castiles that Pomace OO gives a very white bar, and my 2nd pressing OO gives a yellowy green bar .. I use both according to what colour results I'm after ..

I just took another look at my La Primavera (Prima Qualita) Pomace OO Can and the ingredients list: Refined Pomace Olive Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil

That's obviously why I'm getting stark white bars with it .. And it's still the cheapest so works for me :D[/quote:24u4j1zf]

A lot of 'regular' OO is a blend of evoo & processed.So long as it's all olive,no probs :)

Rosey:pomace can speed trace(well,it's faster than other OO).It is obtained by solvent extraction from the last of the olives,plus seeds,so has a higher rate of unsaps,hence,less trace time.Great stuff :wink:
Also,apparently in the states there was some pomace being sold that had other oil blended in,so make sure to label check,& buy from a trusted source,or a meditteranean grocer

Madpiano:my local expert(the greek grocer! lol) says nonono donta use pomace for cookin,its a salad oil. And a soap oil,I tell him! :)

Well I just did a shop at my local woolies because they have 4 litres of EVOO, ELOO, and OO for only $27.00!!!!!! I bought 2 :) It's 100% pure with no additive so I know it's good!! I LOVE BARGAINS!!! Gekko, might want to check your local woolies. :wink: btw I'm near Rocky. I used to live at Maleny though so next time I'm down for a visit....I might have to make a run to Brissy :)

Vonna said:
Well I just did a shop at my local woolies because they have 4 litres of EVOO, ELOO, and OO for only $27.00!!!!!! I bought 2 :) It's 100% pure with no additive so I know it's good!! I LOVE BARGAINS!!! Gekko, might want to check your local woolies. :wink: btw I'm near Rocky. I used to live at Maleny though so next time I'm down for a visit....I might have to make a run to Brissy :)

gee,thats a good price ....ok,Im off to woolies :) scored ELOO at coles last week 4L/$26 only grabbed one,then didn't get back :(

Re: Olive Oil versus Extra Virgin OO

reallyrita said:
1. cost Extra virgin is much more expensive than light or extra light and it
adds nothing extra to the soap

Extra v.o.o. is particurarly rich in antioxidants like "squalene". Squalene is the main of the UNSAPONIFIED ingredients of olive oil and the most precious. So it's desireable to apply olive oil on our skin or to wash our body with an extra v.o.o. soap. Many contemporary studies prove the anti-aging and even anti-cancer qualities of squalene. Google it.

In my experience an 100% e.v.o.o. soap without any additives is always white. So, if you see in the market an 100% olive oil soap with other color, something happens...

Latest posts

Back