Olive Oil Soap Factory in Syria

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my first Aleppo-style batch over the weekend. I cannot wait until the cure time is over to see if this is a good soap. I did 30% LBO and 70% OO; however, after reading the article, I realize the artisans in Aleppo, Syria, only use 12% LBO. I might have to do another batch with that amount.

You didn't do the proportions wrong. My understanding is they use different amounts of LBO to make different quality levels of soap, the best and most expensive being around 30%. I just wish I knew more about their process. It's a boiled soap but I don't know if it's salted out. I was doubtful but some people say yes. And they pour it in a very fluid state with steam rising so I wonder how much water it starts with or how they get it that way.

You didn't do the proportions wrong. My understanding is they use different amounts of LBO to make different quality levels of soap, the best and most expensive being around 30%. I just wish I knew more about their process. It's a boiled soap but I don't know if it's salted out. I was doubtful but some people say yes. And they pour it in a very fluid state with steam rising so I wonder how much water it starts with or how they get it that way.

I was also reading a different article about the history and making of Aleppo soap. You are right about the boiling, but they use "soda ash" for the soap instead of NaOH. The article said they pour the LBO over the ash and boil it. I'm wondering if they use just potash to make it. But we'll never know unless a Syrian soaper gives up the ancient tradition and secret. I hope not. Some things are better left a mystery. I'll have to find that website again and post the link.

I made my first Aleppo-style batch over the weekend. I cannot wait until the cure time is over to see if this is a good soap. I did 30% LBO and 70% OO; however, after reading the article, I realize the artisans in Aleppo, Syria, only use 12% LBO. I might have to do another batch with that amount.

The info I've found says they use up to 40%, and the higher the percentage the better the quality and higher the cost.

I use Aleppo soap, it lathers very nicely, cleans very well, it’s not slimy at all. I love the color, the earthy smell and the rustic look. I love the fact that this traditional soap was used for thousands of years in that area of the world. And yes, the families who own the soap factories in Aleppo do have their own inheritable secret of making it. They don’t release it because it’s the source of their living. Also, I think that not all the Syrian soap in the market is original.
BTW my Castile is not slimy as long as it’s placed in well drained area, I use 1:1 ratio lye to water.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back