Olive Oil Soap Factory in Syria

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's only one place in the world where anyone would understand how I feel after what I've just done - and that's here on SMF!

I purchased a bar of true Aleppo soap from a woman who lived several years in Syria and now won't use any other soap. She offered one up for sale and could read the soapmakers stamp and verify it was made in Aleppo.

I hope to preserve this chunk of skill and history as long as possible; a small way to honor the centuries of generations that are our soap making ancestors. And...hopefully...to somehow keep these fellow craftspeople safe, so they can soon return to their heritage and livelihood.

Last edited:
Soaplies Supplies sells it for 25.00 lb. It's an interesting oil to work with. I've made a batch and have enough for one more. I may make one more batch. My first one will be ready in April (1 year).

Ah, they had no child to stand on the scoring tool, I bet that guy who had to bend over and push it down, has an aching back by the end of the day! Thanks for that, Obsidian. I had never seen this particular video before, it was wonderful. And this is why it's sad, when you're doing a craft show, to see people pass by handmade, more expensive items in favor of cheap, mass produced ones. There's a reason why handmade is more expensive. And when you see what goes into the making of aleppo soap, it drives the point home.

Soaplies Supplies sells it for 25.00 lb. It's an interesting oil to work with. I've made a batch and have enough for one more. I may make one more batch. My first one will be ready in April (1 year).

What did you find interesting about it?

What percentage of laurel oil did you use?

What did you find interesting about it?

What percentage of laurel oil did you use?

I'd have to go back and look but I'm pretty sure I used 30%.

I don't like the smell of it. It was camphorous in the bottle but once in soap to me it smells like split pea soup. It may just be my nose though.
I keep a tester by the sink and try it once in awhile. It's similar to castille.

I have a bar from Syria (one of my Surgery residents) and it's similar for sure. Minus the soup smell. Maybe less Laurel Oil? Maybe I just used too much.

Anybody know if it's possible to still purchase an authentic Syrian made Aleppo soap?

Here's hoping that Syrian soapmakers find a new home and a way to continue their tradition.

I read the article that was posted saying the factory in Aleppo was no longer operating because of the war. However, one of the commenters stated that the Aleppo soap makers are still making soap in the Aleppo region. Some of the soap makers have moved to other countries and have continued their tradition there. I believe you can get genuine olive oil and laurel berry oil soap from Syria, just not from the city of Aleppo.

The commenter was a little irritated that the article stated there was no more "Aleppo" soap, insisting that there was Aleppo still being made. However, s/he missed the point completely. It's not Aleppo soap if it is not made in Aleppo. Just like it is not Champagne unless it is made in Champagne, France. You can't grow Georgia peaches and Florida oranges in California. Jus't'ain't possible. :?

Someone gave me autentic allepo soap (old probably 5 years or more) I do not feel that it is better than my lard soaps. For sure is more soap scum from allepo

After reading this post, and checking out some videos, and reading the wiki, I had to try it. I just ordered some hopefully "authentic" Aleppo soap, I can't wait to try it.

After reading this post, and checking out some videos, and reading the wiki, I had to try it. I just ordered some hopefully "authentic" Aleppo soap, I can't wait to try it.

I made my first Aleppo-style batch over the weekend. I cannot wait until the cure time is over to see if this is a good soap. I did 30% LBO and 70% OO; however, after reading the article, I realize the artisans in Aleppo, Syria, only use 12% LBO. I might have to do another batch with that amount.

I made some almost a year ago. Not impressed. It's very similar to Castile. Kind of slimey and has an odd smell. I'll continue to test it. I have enough oil to make another batch but maybe I'll use it with some other oils

Latest posts

Back