Oleic saponification, Linoleic thickening

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jor224

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jordan from Indonesia, and I started to make my own liquid soap using plant oil since one month ago.

I made several failed batches where CO 50%, PO 10-25%, and canola oil 25-40%. I tried to thicken it with salt, and ended up having it separated with thick foam on top and soapy water at bottom. I learned that my oleic acid was too little and my CO was too high to be thickened with salt.

Now I'm making two batches of liquid soap.
Batch A: CO 35%, PO 25%, canola oil (with oleic acid) 40%.
Batch B: CO 35%, PO 25%, sunflower oil (with linoleic acid) 40%.

After two days, batch A has a consistency like thick mayonnaise, while batch B has a consistency like grainy and creamy paste, similar to ice cream but rather translucent. To speed up saponification of batch A, I put them in a glass jar and put it inside a boiling water to heat it up, so far batch A looks like thicker mayonnaise and rather translucent, but still soft.

For those who are experienced with high oleic soap paste, can you tell me how long does it take to be fully saponified, and how does it look like?
For high linoleic soap paste, after I dilute it (usually soap:water 1:4), can I thicken it with salt? The oleic content for this soap according to the soap calculator is low. I have read that salt works for oleic acid above 50%, and it doesn't work for high amount of coconut oil, but I can not find detail on high linoleic soap paste.

Hi, my name is Jordan from Indonesia, and I started to make my own liquid soap using plant oil since one month ago.

I made several failed batches where CO 50%, PO 10-25%, and canola oil 25-40%. I tried to thicken it with salt, and ended up having it separated with thick foam on top and soapy water at bottom. I learned that my oleic acid was too little and my CO was too high to be thickened with salt.

Now I'm making two batches of liquid soap.
Batch A: CO 35%, PO 25%, canola oil (with oleic acid) 40%.
Batch B: CO 35%, PO 25%, sunflower oil (with linoleic acid) 40%.

After two days, batch A has a consistency like thick mayonnaise, while batch B has a consistency like grainy and creamy paste, similar to ice cream but rather translucent. To speed up saponification of batch A, I put them in a glass jar and put it inside a boiling water to heat it up, so far batch A looks like thicker mayonnaise and rather translucent, but still soft.

For those who are experienced with high oleic soap paste, can you tell me how long does it take to be fully saponified, and how does it look like?
For high linoleic soap paste, after I dilute it (usually soap:water 1:4), can I thicken it with salt? The oleic content for this soap according to the soap calculator is low. I have read that salt works for oleic acid above 50%, and it doesn't work for high amount of coconut oil, but I can not find detail on high linoleic soap paste.
First you still need a better recipe and second oleic acid at 50% is way to much.

Are you using oleic acid as a single ingredient or are you talking about your acid levels.

You can add oleic acid as a separate ingredient but you also find it in olive oil, Safflower oil and sunflower oil.

I would not concentrate on the oleic acid because you need a better recipe first, with the right oils and that will fix your problem.

Here's a recipe that I use. It has lard as the main ingredient but I also use high oleic safflower oil.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200715-174301_saponiCalc_compress8.jpg
    Screenshot_20200715-174301_saponiCalc_compress8.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 17
I'm sorry I didn't see that you were making liquid soap, I thought you were making bar soap. So ignore everything I said.

You might ask an administrator to move your post to the liquid soap forum.

Latest posts

Back