OK My newbie question.....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonshea Botanicals

Reaction score
Putting your soaps to 'bed' or insulating them, why?

I have read through the threads, and read some books. I have a general understanding of it. But have never found an clear cut answer for it. Is it to cause gelling, not to cause gelling.

And now the opposite, why stick them in the fridge/freezer?

Beside the seeming of easy release of the mold or it's a milk soap and ya don't want to burn the milk/discolor your soap. I don't see a reason for this either.

When you are putting you soaps to bed or insulating them you are wanting to make sure that gel is complete. Gel causes the soap to go through saponification faster and your colours are generally more vibrant (please remember there are exceptions to this rule).

When you put the soap into the fridge or freezer then you are trying to prevent gel. The reasons for this are multiple, you want a lighter soap, you are using ingredients that heat up, etc. When you stop gel it does slow down sapinification which slows down your cure as well.

Every one of us has our own way of doing things and we all have our reasons....

When you are putting you soaps to bed or insulating them you are wanting to make sure that gel is complete. Gel causes the soap to go through saponification faster and your colours are generally more vibrant (please remember there are exceptions to this rule).

When you put the soap into the fridge or freezer then you are trying to prevent gel. The reasons for this are multiple, you want a lighter soap, you are using ingredients that heat up, etc. When you stop gel it does slow down sapinification which slows down your cure as well.

Every one of us has our own way of doing things and we all have our reasons....

What Lindy said!

I generally avoid gel when I use titanium dioxide because I can't figure out how to avoid glycerin rivers otherwise.

Back