Oily odor in olive oil soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbence93

Reaction score
Hello folks,
I am a beginner in soap making and most of the batches I have made are primarily made of olive oil and the superfat is around 8%. However, I have experienced that the final product has some oily smell. The extent of this varies with the producer, and it is also present in cold and hot process too. Have you got some ideas how to eliminate it? Somewhere I saw that baking soda would help in this. Is that true? If so, how much should be added?
Cheers,
Bence

I tried it with 4%, but that already dried my wife's skin😕
May I suggest lowering your superfat to 2 or 3%, it is better on your plumbing and has less chance of dos. It may also help with your oily smell, and frankly, there is no point in an 8% superfat.

Are using extra virgin olive oil or olive pomace?
I am using a mixture of the two. I don't quite know the ratios (not indicated by the producer), but the odor seems to be stronger when I use the quicker-tracing oil (so I assume the one with more pomace oil).

How old are the olive soaps when your wife used them? I personally find that my castile can be drying before the 3 month mark. When I tested at 4 months, it was much better.

Some people cannot use OO soaps and I happen to be one of them. You can make lovely soaps without high super fat it just takes experimenting with different oil combinations and low CO. I will re-clarify, I simply hate OO soaps. With a very long cure, 6 months min 100% Sweet Almond Oil makes a very mild soap with a 2% superfat, but it takes the 6 month cure time before they will lather.

How old are the olive soaps when your wife used them? I personally find that my castile can be drying before the 3 month mark. When I tested at 4 months, it was much better.
I was curious about that also because olive oil soaps get better with age ~ 6 months to a year of curing is best. I hate that long cure time but it really helps. My first 2 soaps were olive oil soaps, one with green tea and the other with activated charcoal to see if there would be any difference between those 2 ingredients. At first, after a 3 month cure, they both felt overly drying to my skin and I almost threw it all out, but I grated up all the charcoal soap and most of the green tea soap, leaving a few bars to cure longer. In the meantime, I experimented with new recipes and did more research and low and behold those green tea bars felt a lot better a year later ~ I was rather surprised.
I will add that I use only EVOO, that recipe had goat's milk as the liquid in the lye solution, the green tea was tea bags, opened and added to the EVOO as it warmed so it was thoroughly infused and I left the tea bits in (next time I will strain them out, since they really aren't very pretty).
I watched a lot of YouTube videos about olive oil soaps and about Aleppo soaps (which I also like), and they all say the same thing ~ long cure times are best. I know it seems like olive oil soaps should be easy since it's primarily one oil, but it's a tricky oil ~ you will either have to figure out a way to make it work for you or find a different oil or recipe that performs the way you need it to.
Good luck and happy soaping! 🧼🫧🧼🫧🧼
ETA: I forgot to mention, mine doesn't have an oily smell ~ they just smell soapy. IMO, I'm leaning towards it being a higher super fat, but possibly the type of oil you used. I used a 5% SF in my recipe and it didn't smell oily, so I can't imagine 3% more making that much of a difference 🤷🏼‍♀️

Last edited:
Not quite it's more like fried oil smell.
That for me is an indicator of old oils. Or oils that have short shelf life. I only ever smell this with my soaps that used to have non HO Canola. They got DOS and went rancid within a few months.

So far my olive pomace soaps either smell like soap or that light fruity smell for my castile.

Latest posts

Back