Oils for most batches

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crey15

Reaction score
I was wondering what oils u use for ur normal batches. I have been using olive, Shea, coconut, castor and just added rice bran. But I feel like I'm missing out. I have cocoa butter that I add on occasion too. I can't use palm or animal fats since I live in LA and I plan to sell one day and people r very particular here

Olive, castor, and coconut are must-haves for me. I've never tried palm oil. Olive, palm, and coconut are supposedly the "holy trinity" of soapmaking oils. Soaping101 has a palm-free bastille soap recipe you might like. I have very hard water here in upstate NY, and 100% coconut oil soap with a 20% superfat does an amazing job of cutting through the hard water. Bastille soap works OK but has kind of a weak lather here.

As for not using lard in soap - I think even if I was a vegetarian, I would be okay with using lard soaps. The lard was going to be thrown out, anyway - you can get it for free from some butchers, especially if you offer soap in return! It's not like you're killing animals specifically to get their fat, the fat is usually an unwanted by-product.

Last edited:
Why can't you use palm or animal fats? Do you live in city of Los Angeles or Louisiana state?

I also use coconut, olive, castor, Shea butter & (plus Palm) for my normal batch.

Most vegetarians aren't going to see it that way, AustinStraight. A significant percentage of my friends are vegetarian, and they wouldn't use soaps with lard or tallow in them. I've been struggling to develop recipes I like without using lard or palm myself. Most have been way to soft. I finally gave in and got some palm because otherwise I wouldn't have enough hard oils for a whipped soap I wanted to do.

Ellacho--I'm guessing Los Angeles. If that's so, then palm would be out because of the stigma of its production, and then animal oils because of the large number of vegetarians in California.

I use a basic olive, palm, coconut and castor. But I have several different recipes. Sometimes I use cocoa or Shea butters, and I adore avocado oil. Its all about what you are looking for in a bar. And of course personal taste.

palm, co, olive, canola. cant live w/o those 4. i used to care for the exotic oils bit not so much anymore. my experimenting days are done :D

Seven I haven't used canola much. Does it color the soaps at all?

Yes Los Angeles. Too many hipsters and hippies :)

I live in LA County and I can tell you that lard does not deter sales and very seldom does palm. I use palm in most soaps and lard in many. Actually I sell more non-vegan soaps than my vegan soap. Yep I make both, as it is silly to knock out a whole market. Just had a new customer last night that wanted a veggie soap, but ended up buying a soap with lard after we had a short discussion about the process of soap. When you make only vegan you lose the customers that want honey soap, goat's milk soap etc. LOL, but I like sellers like that because I make and sell it all. Just a little info in selling in the LA area, lots of luck sales are way down, and loads of new competition. I have been selling in my markets for 5 yrs and that is the only way I survive against all the newbies coming in my markets.

Thank you. I am not doing vegan fir sure but was convinced that lard soap wouldn't sell here. Good to know!!!

Just another quick thought on Vegans in CA Orange County beach areas is where I run into more Vegans and/or Vegetarians. In LA county the main vegans I run into are from India and they very seldom buy soap from us. That is according to other sellers I talk to. As we all probably know we have a large Hispanic population and they have nothing against lard and love handmade soap. Lard Rules...love it in soap! It is white and slow traces. Lard Olive, Canola or Sunflower will give a nice white bar

I love in Santa Monica so it's a small niche and most won't want lard soaps.

Latest posts

Back