Oil separation (before any soapmaking)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luluzapcat

Reaction score
I'm excited to experiment with rice bran oil and found it dirt cheap (seems like the wrong phrase in a soap forum but oh well) at a bulk natural foods store near me.
When I pulled it out to soap with after a few days on the shelf, the oil had separated into layers. Does this have any implications for soaping? Impurities; improper refinement? Or do some oils just do that?
Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_113909840.jpg
    IMG_20190629_113909840.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 17
I have never had my rice bran oil do this. How have you been storing it? When you say on the shelf, is it at room temperature, or a refrigerated shelf?

Also, what is the brand name on the bottle?
I have had it in my garage, which is very temperate as I'm in the San Francisco bay area. Temps in there have probably ranged between 55 and 70.
I'm afraid I bought it from a bulk dispenser, so I don't have a container with a brand name on it. I'll have to go back to the store and check and I will post that when I have it.
Thanks!

I've had my RBO get an opaque layer on the bottom when stored in a cool basement. Try warming it a little and see if it clears up.

I've had my RBO get an opaque layer on the bottom when stored in a cool basement. Try warming it a little and see if it clears up.
Yes--after typing my answer to Earlene I realized this could be the oil changing state with the temperature shifts it's going through each day. Mystery maybe solved!? Thanks folks!

:thumbs: Mike, from Soapers Choice says to never shake oils.
I never heard that, Why the heck not ?
Maybe I should rephrase as I didn't SHAKE it to make bubbles, more Swirled it with some up and down motion to make sure it was evenly distributed...... did that make any sense ?

Not shaking is news to me...

Although I never shake mine, coz I don't need to. Temps here never let any of my oils solidify even partially, not even coconut, unless it's in the fridge, which I don't do. My RBO has never had any part of it solidify...

Latest posts

Back