oil ostrich

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamid

Reaction score
Hi my friends. Is this soap good?

Attachments

• Screenshot_۲۰۲۰۰۱۲۷-۲۲۵۶۴۴_1.jpg
    Screenshot_۲۰۲۰۰۱۲۷-۲۲۵۶۴۴_1.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 22
That's a lot of liquid oil and will take a long cure before being ready to use. I personally don't use any oil/butter under 5%. I would also change your lye from water as percent to the lye concentration and do 33%. I'm one who dislikes high OO soap as I find it snotty and drying to my skin. However, you can certainly give it a go. Everyone is different and you may love it. I would also recommend making smaller batches not more than 2 lbs. It will keep you from wasting oils if you don't like a recipe.

It's quite similar to the ratio i use so it would work I think, however I don't really understand ostrich oil in this situation ^^

Salam Hamid!

I would also like to point out that any soap that is majority olive oil, will need to cure a long time in my experience. If you don't, it will be soft and mushy, won't lather good, won't last long, and will be drying..... Using too much water will also give you soft soap that will take forever to harden and you might even get misshapen bars.

It's ok to make, but make a small batch first (maybe 400-600 grams) because 1300 grams is too much soap to store for a long time only to find out you don't like it. I don't use more than 30% olive oil anymore, and most of the time I don't at all. My skin really doesn't like it.

Also, many people don't use any oil less than 10% and even 5% - except castor oil. They say you can't detect the difference at less than that. If you really want to see how the ostrich oil works in soap you might have to increase the amount..

Last edited:
Salam Hamid!

I would also like to point out that any soap that is majority olive oil, will need to cure a long time in my experience. If you don't, it will be soft and mushy, won't lather good, won't last long, and will be drying..... Using too much water will also give you soft soap that will take forever to harden and you might even get misshapen bars.

It's ok to make, but make a small batch first (maybe 400-600 grams) because 1300 grams is too much soap to store for a long time only to find out you don't like it. I don't use more than 30% olive oil anymore, and most of the time I don't at all. My skin really doesn't like it.

Also, many people don't use any oil less than 10% and even 5% - except castor oil. They say you can't detect the difference at less than that. If you really want to see how the ostrich oil works in soap you might have to increase the amount..
Oils available to me. Sunflower, soybean, coconut, grape seed, castor, sesame. Which oil do you recommend to reduce olive oil?

Excuse me. Salaaaaaaam
Salam Hamid!

Hi Hamid, salaam. Do you have access to any hard oils, like beef tallow? If you're using ostrich oil then I'm guessing you don't mind animal fats in your soap. Replacing some of your olive oil with beef tallow would make a harder and longer lasting bar of soap.

Hi Hamid, salaam. Do you have access to any hard oils, like beef tallow? If you're using ostrich oil then I'm guessing you don't mind animal fats in your soap. Replacing some of your olive oil with beef tallow would make a harder and longer lasting bar of soap.
Hi Saffron. Yes, I have beef tallow. Of course, I discount water soap for a quick fix. Up to 30%

Latest posts

Back