Oh no! :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonshea Botanicals

Reaction score
I was measuring out my oils for my 2nd batch of CP soap and only have 3.5 oz of coconut oil. 1/2 oz. shy of what I need for my recipe. What oil can I add to make up the difference? The only ingredients I can use is olive oil, shea butter, coco butter & castor oil. I have soybean oil but she is allergic. I really wanted to at least get the oils measured & melted together. I am impaient and don't wanna wait til tomorrow to get more cococnut oil. But I will if nothing can be done.

I am wondering if you run it through soap calc if you could increase the shea butter by 1/2 oz. I would look at the number for hardness since the coconut oil helps with that. Also 1/2 oz isn't much in a large batch, but if it is a small batch it will make more of a difference. Check soap calc and see if the shea butter will work for you.

I am wondering if you run it through soap calc if you could increase the shea butter by 1/2 oz. I would look at the number for hardness since the coconut oil helps with that. Also 1/2 oz isn't much in a large batch, but if it is a small batch it will make more of a difference. Check soap calc and see if the shea butter will work for you.

It's a 2lb batch being split into 2-1lb batches for scenting. I thought I could do that. But just wanted to have 2nd opinions from the soaping gurus.

I would either do like you said and run it through with shea or try running it through with cocoa butter for the hardness.

It's morning here though. Sooo, what did you end up doing? :)

If that happened to me I'd use the OO. Don't forget OO adds hardness to a bar too. For 1/2 oz I really don't think it matters that much what you use. Just run it by soapcalc to be sure of your lye amt.

Back