Oh no! Avocado Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A June 2020 research paper published by a team of food scientists at UC Davis reports that most avocado oil sold in the US is of “poor quality, mislabeled or adulterated with other oils.” As summarized on the UC Davis website:
  • In three cases, bottles labeled as “pure” or “extra virgin” avocado oil contained near 100 percent soybean oil, an oil commonly used in processed foods that’s much less expensive to produce.
  • Only two brands produced samples that were pure and nonoxidized. Those were Chosen Foods and Marianne’s Avocado Oil, both refined avocado oils made in Mexico.
My local Costco sells the Chosen Foods brand.

The published paper is here: First report on quality and purity evaluations of avocado oil sold in the US

Wow, what a find Mobjack. 82% either impure or rancid-I'm glad I stuck to Walmart on this oil.

This angers me. People might be jaded that this sort of stuff happens with olive oil and other products, but many people made conscious decisions to lie and cheat those who purchased these products. CEOs, managers, production people, etc. Blatantly falsifying documents, lying on the labels. I'm glad this article provides brands that aren't frauds or rancid.

Chosen Foods here. I don't remember where I bought it. Here's a side-by-side comparison... 100% Avocado (All) on the right. Soy oil on the left.

Soy Avocado.png

Glad to report, that I also by Avocado oil from Costco or Walmart, depending on if I am at home or traveling. But Walmart carries other brands of Avocado Oil other than Chosen, depending on the store, so it may not be Chosen Foods oil on the shelf at your local Walmart. Amazon also carries Chosen Foods Avocado Oil, but not Marianne's (per my search today; that could change.)

Where to buy Chosen Foods Avocado Oil

Where to buy Marianne's Harvest Brands™ Avocado Oil, besides at Costco? Snackathon
There are probably other sources, but that was all I could find this morning. However, there is a contact us option at Marianne's website where one could enquire.

Edited for spelling correction.

Last edited:
Ugh. Very disappointed to hear this. fortunately I tend to use it in small amounts. Unfortunately I usually use it to mix darker colorants. I've been using it awhile with no issues so far. 🤞

Avocado & almond oils are standard in all the skin care products I make -- lotions, cuticle balm, lip balm, baby bum balm, etc. I rarely use them to make soap. No special reason.

Whaaah?! I recently bought whatever Aldi carries by accident instead of their olive oil that I usually cook with. Once I realized my mistake (as I was unpacking and putting away groceries) I figured oh well, it's no big deal because I can at least use it in soap... Unless it's not really avocado oil!?

Food fraud is an invidious and potentially dangerous practice (like China's melamine in powdered milk scandal).
We have ok laws here, but not strong enough to stop adulteration (especially in imported items, which are labelled, but not always tested for purity/quality).

Thank you for finding this one Mobjack Bay (there are some American food shops in Australia, so I'll pass this on to family who go to those 😞)

Back