Oh dear.... granddaughter version

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, long story short, my granddaughter (from Vancouver Island) is coming to spend some time with us because she's needs to get away from an abusive relationship (she's almost 20). My husband drove four hours to pick her up from her grandfather's home near Vancouver. They're about half way back, just past Merritt for those of you who know the area) and my husband just called to say they've hit, and killed, a deer on the highway. The deer killed our Jeep. We're a one car family. Thankfully, we have BCAA but we are now without a vehicle and my husband has no idea when they'll be here. I'm not a huge worrier but....

Oh my goodness, that sounds awful. One thing after another. I'm sure that they will be fine, but it must be stressful, I'm sorry. It is good that she has you as a safe harbor.
I'm glad she's coming.

One thing after another is for sure... and not just for her. It's been a stressful 2023 and not a great start to 2024.

Oh my goodness, @Misschief - I am glad she has you both. I hope they are ok after that accident. I’m sorry for the deer and your Jeep. Try not to worry too much, and I will be sending positive thoughts your way.
Thank you... My husband said they're shook up (understandably) but OK. Now, they're waitiing on BCAA (Automobile Association).

I am so sorry to hear your sad news! I know the area - were they still on the Coquihalla Freeway? That highway is scary. I hope the tow truck will get to your husband and grand daughter soon, and that the jeep is fixable 🤗
And - how fortunate that your grand daughter has a safe place to go. That’s a hard situation.

I am so sorry to hear your sad news! I know the area - were they still on the Coquihalla Freeway? That highway is scary. I hope the tow truck will get to your husband and grand daughter soon, and that the jeep is fixable 🤗
And - how fortunate that your grand daughter has a safe place to go. That’s a hard situation.
They were off the Coq but on the Connector, just outside of Merritt. Still waiting for updates...both have cell phones but coverage is spotty up there.

Goodness! Prayers for your family. I'm not Jewish, but there is a Jewish blessing, when someone is on a mission of kindness, G-d will pave their path home.
Thank you for that! It looks like they'll be stuck where they are for the night. They've booked a hotel for tonight and will be catching the first available bus here tomorrow morning. Tickets have been booked for them. Apparently, my gdaughter realized the hotel has a pool and she just happens to have her swimsuit with her. She's going for a swim and, hopefully, some time in the hot tub. Apparently, she's a bit sore (not unexpected). John's hoping for a hot shower.

It looks like the Jeep is a write-off. From what John said, the deer hit the hood, smashed the window, then bounced off the roof of the car. Ah well, vehicles can be replaced. My people can not. And they're okay.

So, long story short, my granddaughter (from Vancouver Island) is coming to spend some time with us because she's needs to get away from an abusive relationship (she's almost 20). My husband drove four hours to pick her up from her grandfather's home near Vancouver. They're about half way back, just past Merritt for those of you who know the area) and my husband just called to say they've hit, and killed, a deer on the highway. The deer killed our Jeep. We're a one car family. Thankfully, we have BCAA but we are now without a vehicle and my husband has no idea when they'll be here. I'm not a huge worrier but....

Good on you & your husband supporting your granddaughter in this way. I come from a family in which we, the 'girls' - we are grown @ssed women - have been told to 'listen to your husband' & to just suck it up. This from the men in our family - grandfathers, uncles, male cousins, you name it. I give a big, fat 🖕 to that bit of advice.

One of my cousins is also in a bad situation at the moment & leaving, coming to stay with me shortly until she figures out what she needs to do for herself & her 2 year old, other than take some time for healing emotionally, physically, mentally & spiritually.

The energy your husband & granddaughter are experiencing right now is something else altogether, metaphysically speaking. That can be its own very trippy situation.

Many blessings & protection to you & your family ❤️

There are a lot of deer where I live and I well know the damage hitting one can cause. Thankfully, your husband and granddaughter are not badly injured. Even though cars can be replaced, it is still a huge pain to repair/replace one. I hope they get home soon so you can rest easy once you have them back with you.

Your granddaughter is lucky to have you and your husband as a safe haven.

Good on you & your husband supporting your granddaughter in this way. I come from a family in which we, the 'girls' - we are grown @ssed women - have been told to 'listen to your husband' & to just suck it up. This from the men in our family - grandfathers, uncles, male cousins, you name it. I give a big, fat 🖕 to that bit of advice.

One of my cousins is also in a bad situation at the moment & leaving, coming to stay with me shortly until she figures out what she needs to do for herself & her 2 year old, other than take some time for healing emotionally, physically, mentally & spiritually.

The energy your husband & granddaughter are experiencing right now is something else altogether, metaphysically speaking. That can be its own very trippy situation.

Many blessings & protection to you & your family ❤️
That's the background I grew up in as well. Thankfully, I broke that mold. My granddaughter has some lessons to learn (not the condemning kind but the ones that build her up and show her what her life CAN be like) and that's part of the reason she's going to be here.

I look forward to hearing about their "adventure" and I thank you for the blessings. They are much appreciated.

Last edited:
My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family @Misschief . Sometimes it's a long, hard road to reprogram your thinking when you've been brainwashed into thinking "you are less than," especially when a lot of the greater world supports that belief. I wish you all the best.
Though I morn with you the loss of your jeep, perhaps it will be a hidden blessing, fostering further supportive bonding between your husband and granddaughter and an example in resilience. Probably not what you wish to hear right now. Right now you want them to be safe and to get another vehicle without a lot of additional stress.
Thinking of you in this stressful time. 🙏🙏🙏

Though I morn with you the loss of your jeep, perhaps it will be a hidden blessing, fostering further supportive bonding between your husband and granddaughter and an example in resilience. Probably not what you wish to hear right now. Right now you want them to be safe and to get another vehicle without a lot of additional stress.
Thinking of you in this stressful time. 🙏🙏🙏
This! This is what I'm hoping for. The Jeep will be replaced. It has its own story and it has finally become very clear that its time with us is over. I'm hoping that this shared experience will benefit both my husband and my g'daughter, that it gives them some time to talk about the circumstances she's in right now and how she can begin to heal from it. He's not always the most sympathetic listener but he's a good man and loves my g'kids as if they were his own.

Glad they are home and safe. I’m sure the Jeep loss will be pain in the 🫏 to deal with but love your attitude that it could be a bonding experience for them. It’s not always easy to make lemonaid when you’re in the middle of a tough situation. It’s great that you are providing a soft place for your granddaughter to land.

Glad to hear that your husband and granddaughter are OK after the accident and that your granddaughter is away from that relationship. Hopefully the insurance companies aren't too difficult to deal with.

Latest posts

Back