odd white streaks/spots in bastille soap

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

mycophile

Reaction score
soap1.jpg
1610758553411.jpeg

when I look closely at this batch, I think I see crystals. I'm afraid this is undissolved lye, but I can't find any good reference images for lye pockets that look like this.
They don't necessarily look like stearic spots due to the shape. Glycerine rivers would be more pronounced too, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.
the soap has an oily sheen and a grainy texture. I don't think i quite reached emulsion.
soaped at room temperature, heat transfer method. 85% OO, 10% CO, 5% castor. lye concentration 33%
1st pic is immediately after cutting, 2nd-3rd after a few days
(I am afraid of the zap test)

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they are probably stearic spots/shapes. But the only way you will know is to do the zap test. It will not hurt you, and you will have to overcome your fear or throw the batch away.

Anstarx

Reaction score
They kinda look like air bubbles, especially the ones with small holes in them.
Also you mentioned the trace wasn't thick, I always tend to have streaks like that in my soap if my batter was less than light trace and I didn't gel, so it could be just that, it shouldn't hurt to use tho, just cosmetic.

Jibbian

Reaction score
I get these all the time, and I agree that they're probably a combination of stearic spots and air bubbles. I tend to notice them more when I pour at a light trace/cooler temperature. FWIW, I've been safely using soap with these little spots for several years now, and I haven't run into any problems! :)