odd white streaks/spots in bastille soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mycophile

Reaction score
soap1.jpg
1610758553411.jpeg

when I look closely at this batch, I think I see crystals. I'm afraid this is undissolved lye, but I can't find any good reference images for lye pockets that look like this.
They don't necessarily look like stearic spots due to the shape. Glycerine rivers would be more pronounced too, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.
the soap has an oily sheen and a grainy texture. I don't think i quite reached emulsion.
soaped at room temperature, heat transfer method. 85% OO, 10% CO, 5% castor. lye concentration 33%
1st pic is immediately after cutting, 2nd-3rd after a few days
(I am afraid of the zap test)

They kinda look like air bubbles, especially the ones with small holes in them.
Also you mentioned the trace wasn't thick, I always tend to have streaks like that in my soap if my batter was less than light trace and I didn't gel, so it could be just that, it shouldn't hurt to use tho, just cosmetic.

I get these all the time, and I agree that they're probably a combination of stearic spots and air bubbles. I tend to notice them more when I pour at a light trace/cooler temperature. FWIW, I've been safely using soap with these little spots for several years now, and I haven't run into any problems! :)

Back