Nut oil in soap and nut allergies?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann Marie

Reaction score
Hi!

I have had quite a few people shy away from buying soap that has sweet almond oil or hazelnut oil because they have nut allergies. Would that affect them? Should I just avoid using them in my recipes? Thanks for the help!

Ann Marie

It is unlikely that they would react to a refined oil used in soap. Allergies are usually a response to the protein, and refined oils have been stripped of those proteins.

BUT...

I am not a doctor, I do not play one on tv... ANYONE with allergies should consult with their healthcare professional about any questions concerning using a product! Do NOT tell someone it would be fine, but maybe suggest they ask their doctor. If this happens a lot, then yes I would also carry soaps that are nut-free, but again be sure to disclose that they were made in a place that also uses nut oils!

It is unlikely that they would react to a refined oil used in soap. Allergies are usually a response to the protein, and refined oils have been stripped of those proteins.

BUT...

I am not a doctor, I do not play one on tv... ANYONE with allergies should consult with their healthcare professional about any questions concerning using a product! Do NOT tell someone it would be fine, but maybe suggest they ask their doctor. If this happens a lot, then yes I would also carry soaps that are nut-free, but again be sure to disclose that they were made in a place that also uses nut oils!

^ CYA for real.

I made a soap and gave it to a person that claimed they had every single allergy on earth. I let them try a citrus lemon bar and they swore it softened, soothed, and etc..

What I didn't know until months later was that it was a batch with huge amounts of peanut oil. Too, the amount of citrus EOs could have been a phtosensitizer but nothing came about. If one is allergic to nut oils it is being safe to not let them use it. :think: (good reminder for me too)

I don't use nut oils in my soaps because of this too - my niece has a severe nut allergy. (however, she can drink Almond Milk - which puzzles all of us.....)

BUT.... there's no reason why you can't have a couple of soaps with those oils - and put CLEARLY on the label so that there is no confusion. And rather than lose sales - tweak your main recipe to NOT include any of those oils - so that those with allergies can still try your regular soaps.

Maybe some of your "specialty" soaps have almond oil, hazelnut oil, or peanut oil...etc..

I don't use nut oils in my soaps because of this too - my niece has a severe nut allergy. (however, she can drink Almond Milk - which puzzles all of us.....)

BUT.... there's no reason why you can't have a couple of soaps with those oils - and put CLEARLY on the label so that there is no confusion. And rather than lose sales - tweak your main recipe to NOT include any of those oils - so that those with allergies can still try your regular soaps.

Maybe some of your "specialty" soaps have almond oil, hazelnut oil, or peanut oil...etc..

Consuela, in your non-nut oil soaps, would you or do you use jojoba? (Which is technically a wax derived from a nut?) Is it safe?

Consuela, in your non-nut oil soaps, would you or do you use jojoba? (Which is technically a wax derived from a nut?) Is it safe?

Sh** Goji, I never even thought of that.... I only use Jojoba in my lip balms - and in my face cream and hubby's facial serum. (Nope, not in my soap).

I have no clue if its safe - we might need to do some more research on that....and see for sure - because I bet a lot of people don't realize that about Jojoba...

Hi!

I have had quite a few people shy away from buying soap that has sweet almond oil or hazelnut oil because they have nut allergies. Would that affect them? Should I just avoid using them in my recipes? Thanks for the help!

Ann Marie

Peanut and tree nut are some of the most allergenic substances that exist, and even amounts so small that that you wouldn't believe could be lethal (and you can be allergic to one, several related, or all of the tree nuts - sometimes plus mango, which is a close cousin to cashew). Quite literally people with severe nut allergies can't even use products made in the same plant because the *air* can transfer enough to kill someone. I'd avoid nut oil soaps at all cost if you are allergic. I also asked my allergist for you (since he's in the same building), and he agreed: avoid the risk. I have young niece that is allergic to tree nuts (but is too young to get the individual tests), so I have a set of soaping materials that are designated nut-free to use whenever I make anything that will go to their house.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
BUT...

BUT

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night? :p

To the question, I think it's one of those things that if you look at a bunch of websites, you're going to get a bunch of different answers. My thoughts are in the light of today's litigious society, I would guess someone will eventually answer this definitely in a court of law. I can't say I've ever seen a warning on a soap label, but honestly I really just read the ingredient list. Seems like someone with a bad allergy would be doing the same, but it still would be wise to CYA.

Back