Now what?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triquetra

Reaction score
I've got a great potential for a distributor to carry a salve I make for tattoo aftercare. Im freaking out! It will be up at the Boston Tattoo Convention in a few weeks and pending on how the outlook is up there I could be booming. I am the only one who makes the products, my other half helps label and seal the sample pouches.

Sounds great? Right, so why am I a mess? If this becomes a big thing, I have no clue where to go as my place is not big enough to make all of this PLUS we do all the designs, labels, packaging, etc - Im not sure (if it becomes a hit) if I can keep up with orders. Right now the order is 2000 pouches of salve.

Any one have ideas on what to do? Out sourcing is an option except its costly. =(

Just relax and set goals like 200 a day for ten days and you are done. If the bigger orders come in then rethink how the first process went. How to improve, speed up and what realistic goals you can achieve. You can always call in hourly help at a pinch. Oh and congratulations . Best of luck to you.

Congratulations, what a fantastic opportunity! Agree, set yourself a daily quota, chip away at it, watch your inventory grow, and try not to feel overwhelmed. How fortunate you are to have a better half who helps, too, that's great support and encouragement!

I'm in sort of the same boat. With the upcoming holiday season, and a few major product and festival commitments, I have to make a TON of soap and B&B stuff, and a lot of it will be hot process just so I can cut down some on the curing time. Having to look ahead, anticipate what 'fun' projects I need to knock out of my free time, be disciplined and not get distracted. Made myself a checklist of what needs to be done and when, getting organized and am just going to chip away.

And yes, for the future, think carefully about how big you realistically can - and WANT TO - become. That's HUGE thing to ponder if you find yourself on the verge of major success and need to drastically rethink the way you run your business. Start the patenting process? Build a production shed? Hire local college students/part timers to help produce? Stay small enough to stay home-based and produce only enough that it's not overwhelming? What a fine dilemma!

You can do it! All the best, keep us posted of your progress!

Last edited:
It is the thinking about it , that scares us, once you get going it will all work out. For big orders I get everything ready assembly line style and go..Congratulations to you.

:D You guys are the best! Ive been making batches daily and waiting for pouches and labels to come in.

Ive also looked into filling machines, better heat sealers and perhaps a small office area to rent for better assembly of my salve.

The distributor now wants exclusive New England sales, but I want to see how they do state wise first. if it was your company, would you then tell them you have to order $1000 a month for exclusive state and perhaps $3000 a month for New England exclusive?

Latest posts

Back