Not sure what happened

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsSharLee

Reaction score
Long Story ....

I was reading on there about making lye solution ahead of tme and then just adding the appropriate amount of water to equal the water that the recipe calls for ... so I decided to try it yesterday. I'm not sure what I did but WHAT A MESS!!!

I had 21.5 oz of lye left so I put it in a SS bowl and added 21.5 oz of water. Once it cooled I put it in my Tupperware pitcher that I use for lye.
I have a mold that makes 32 bars so I decided to put the divider in and make 1/2 castile the other half my regular soap recipe.

I made the Castile soap and did a water discount so it would trace quicker ... another tip I read on here and it worked perfectly for my first ever batch of Castile (will post pictures as soon as my camera battery charges) For whatever reason it didn't trace as quickly as the first time I did it, but, once it came to trace I poured it in the mold.

Batch #2 started Lard, coconut oil, castor oil and PKO ... I use this recipe all the time and LOVE it. Everything was at room temperature (first time doing at room temp). I added my FO (Oatmeal, Milk and Honey) to the oils before I added the lye solution. I did a water discount for this too.

I blended and blended and blended and could not get it past a light trace ... I let it sit a while, then started blending again ... still could not get a good trace ... let it sit again ... came back and blended some more. This time it got a little thicker so I poured it in the mold.

I stuck it in warm oven to do its thing, then I noticed that the soap was dripping out of the mold. My mold has slits in it for cutting and I lined it, but cut the lining too close to the bottom so the soap was seeping out ... I stuck a small stainless steel bowl there thinking it would stop dripping soon.

Today I came home from church, pulled it out of the oven and YIKES ... there was soap all over the place. The bowl was a little less than half full of what looked like oil. Thankfully I covered the bottom of the oven with my silicone baking mats, and there was soap all over them. When I took the mats out there was a puddle of oil under the mat.

The castile soap was very gooey and had what looked like a crust on top of it. I scooped what was of both batches into my Soaping Pot and set it in a pan of simmering hot water to rebatch it. I added half ounce of lye solution and a little water to loosen it up.

I stirred, stirred, stirred, let it sit then repeated the process again. Once I was sure everything was incorporated well I let it sit about 10 minutes then dumped it in my Crafters Choice Silicone molds and stuck it in the oven. I tested some of the soap out of the pot and it seemed fine, but, when I looked in the oven the soap looks like it still has oil floating around the edges.

The only thing I did different was I used LouAnns Coconut Oil from Wal-Mart because I was out of Soapers Choice.

The Castile called for 9.26 of lye and 27.36 of water. I poured 9.26 of the lye solution and added 17.36 of water.

The Lard recipe called for 10.26 lye and 27.36 water and I used 20.36 water.

I am not sure what happened ... any tips, thoughts?? If this still has oil floating on the top do I scrap it ... is there a way to save it???

UGH!!!!

I hope Im understanding this correctly.
You say the castille called for 9.26 oz lye. You used 9.26 oz of lye solution, since its a 50/50 solution, you only used 4.63 oz of lye. Probably the same problem for the other soap too.

KnowWhat said:
I hope Im understanding this correctly.
You say the castille called for 9.26 oz lye. You used 9.26 oz of lye solution, since its a 50/50 solution, you only used 4.63 oz of lye. Probably the same problem for the other soap too.

Wow I really screwed up then ... I totally misunderstood ... now WTD??? Is there a way to save this? Between the @ batches its 9 pouns of oils total way too much to have to trash! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I can't do the math for you (just not that smart) but rebatch and add the correct amount of additional lye solution?

AmyW said:
I can't do the math for you (just not that smart) but rebatch and add the correct amount of additional lye solution?

only problem is I lost quite a bit of the soap mix in the oven so I'm not sure how much is actually left ... not to mention since I didn't realize my error I mixed the 2 batches to make one big soap batch.

I am sick about this ... I am supposed to be setting up a Vendor table at a Women's Ministry function a friend of mine is having at the end of Sept. and this was part of what I had hoped to sell.

Yikes! What an awful sour pickle! Not that it helps or anything, but I totally feel your heartbreak. :cry:

As far as what went wrong, KnowWhat hit the nail right on the head. It's too late for this batch, but for future batches with a 50% lye solution write this little equation down:

Total lye amount that the lye calculator gives for your batch multiplied by 2 equals how much of the 50% solution to weigh out.

Total water amount that the lye calculator gives for your batch minus the total lye amount equals how much extra water to weigh out.

I'm all for saving batches from the trash heap if there's any way I can possibly do it (I hate throwing soap away), but this sounds like a pretty big challenge. It's a longshot and may be too much trouble for what it's worth (or not- 9 lbs of oil is a lot to have to throw away), but the only way I can think of saving it is to add the amount of lye solution that you were originally missing, which will make the soap lye heavy due to your oil loss in the oven (this may sound crazy, but bear with me), and then do Bunny's remedy for lye heavy soap by HPing it and adding oil back into it a little at a time until the melted soap batter ceases to zap when you apply the zap/tongue test to it. You won't ever really know your exact superfat % in the end for this particular batch, but at least it will be safe to use and all those oils won't have been wasted.

IrishLass :)

Thank you all so much! Irish Lash I'm making notes and appreciate your guidance. I added 4 ounces of the lye solution and mixed it good, then set it in a warm oven. I took it out yesterday and it was still kind of soft, but checked this morning and it did harden up some ... so I'll check it again tonight ... I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

This is one mistake I WILL NOT repeat :D

Back