Not quite sure where to post this.. ? About my soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IslandSoap

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Hmmm.. I made this soap the end of October... I used Peppermint candy from Crafters Choice. All of my oils, etc... are all new.. the main soap came out great.. I used goat milk and my usual recipe. No discoloration it appears. But my soap frosting went from white to this ugly color. ( used distilled water.. fresh). I feel it does not smell like peppermint, but everyone else says it does. I read the reviews re: the FO.. almost all positive except a couple did state their bath bombs turned brown. ???? 1st photo is when I cut it... the other 2 are an end cut and what it looks like today. Mind you.. I’ve used the same recipe for all of my other soap frostings.. and they remained white🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• 6DDB854B-8612-4707-AD43-1D0196597AC9.jpeg
    6DDB854B-8612-4707-AD43-1D0196597AC9.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 23FFDF6B-A811-4FAB-BC65-A92AB1CF8478.jpeg
    23FFDF6B-A811-4FAB-BC65-A92AB1CF8478.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 65671507-C3D3-4EDB-918B-9DA7B054A59A.jpeg
    65671507-C3D3-4EDB-918B-9DA7B054A59A.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 8
Peppermint FO will usually discolor soap because it has vanillin in it. To combat that, in the future you can either use TD, or a stabilizer and that will help with the discoloration.

If you are wondering why the bar did not discolor while the frosting did... I have found personally that if my soap that uses a discoloring FO gels, I will not get as bad of a discoloration (so maybe the loaf gelled but the frosting did not). I can't explain it, but it has happened with several of my batches (all the same recipe/technique)

Hi everyone. Hmmm.. I made this soap the end of October... I used Peppermint candy from Crafters Choice. All of my oils, etc... are all new.. the main soap came out great.. I used goat milk and my usual recipe. No discoloration it appears. But my soap frosting went from white to this ugly color. ( used distilled water.. fresh). I feel it does not smell like peppermint, but everyone else says it does. I read the reviews re: the FO.. almost all positive except a couple did state their bath bombs turned brown. ???? 1st photo is when I cut it... the other 2 are an end cut and what it looks like today. Mind you.. I’ve used the same recipe for all of my other soap frostings.. and they remained white🤷‍♀️
Why do you use FO when EO is so much better?

I use mostly FO myself. Cost is one factor the other is I can get fragrances that you can’t get with EO and I’ve found less issues on the skin with FO than EO. It’s a personal choice.
Been making soap for 25 years and I guess I'm a purist. .I've never had even one issue using EO. I find the scent is so much better and doesn't discolor my soap. Different EO's do wonders for skin conditions and other ailments. I've never had a complaint from anyone about skin issues. They just want more. I factor in the costs of the EO along with all the organic oils I use and it's not that much difference. I get my pomace olive oil from a grower in Carmel Calif along with many other Monterey Bay soap makers. Once I purchased a lime coconut FO, made soap and customers complained about the smell. FO are made from chemicals and EO are directly from the plants and flowers. Have fun making soap.

Latest posts

Back