Not getting solid.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrubbie

Reaction score
I made this recipe. I checked the numbers on soap calc and it is not setting. I am insulating it and it looks to be gelling. But the samples in the pot are gummy. I don't understand it. http://www.soap-making-resource.com/cal ... ecipe.html
Maybe it is the rice brand oil? I did add some sugar to lye at 1 table spoon per ppo. I added it for more bubbles. I'm concerned because of what I saw in the pot. It was like lotion

No need to be concerned. It's not out of the ordinary at all for the small amounts of soap residue left over in the pot to be soft and cream cheese-like (or lotiony) due to the fact that the residue more than likely did not go through gel. It will feel just like what freshly made ungelled soap is supposed to feel like- soft cream cheese. If you rub it between your fingers (hopefully with gloved fingers), it will act like a thick lotion. Perfectly normal.

There is a lot of rice bran oil in the recipe, along with 2 other soft oils, so it will naturally be a little soft to begin, with even if it does go through gel, but it should harden up nicely with cure.

IrishLass :)

Update

I began the recipe at 3:30 P.M. It did harden but still really soft. It was hard enough to unmold and I cut it gently and handled very gently to place on racks. You were right it doesnt look anything like the lotiony goop it did in the pot. It looks now like a tan jelly. I will post some pics in a few to show.

Latest posts

Back