Not finding what I need locally

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that you found some, but in the future you may want to check out the least expensive place that I have found, with the best shipping price, for lye, AAAchemicals.com out of Texas. For me, the robeics was available at Lowes, but it was almost 14$ for 2 lbs! Since there is no place else locally for me to get it, I have to buy on line. I have tried a few places, each time thinking I got the best deal available, but this AAA place beats them all, even with the "free" deals from the other places.

Have fun and enjoy much luck with your batches! I am still excited to make things after 14 years, so I hope you feel the same!

Oh now I'm finding what I need all right...and I can't stop!!!
For some reason Photobucket, which hosts my photos, isn't working properly for me tonight or I'd post some photos. I will when I have this figured out...

I saw an immersion hand-mixer @ Target for $20 but I read online about someone using a BLENDER, and I thought I would give it a go. So I did, and I had fantastic results. It was only my first soap-making experience and it got to trace perfectly in just a few minutes. Plus, with a blender you can cover the top of the container while it's mixing so the fumes don't escape. I also covered it with a towel just in case, and I did it outside on my deck wearing gloves and sunglasses (don't have goggles, haha)

My cabinet runneth over:

DSCF5361.jpg

Tacoma said:
You should be able to go to the local mom and pop hardware store and ask them to order you a case of lye. Tell them what you use it for and pay for it with a check or credit card. That way they know you are not afraid of having it traced back to you.

and take them a bar of your soap so they KNOW what you're doing with it. i did this, explained the use of lye in soap, and they wound up carrying my soap in a pretty basket on the front counter :)

Back