NON-WALL CLEANING SUGAR SOAP - Look at these beauties!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tincanac

Reaction score
I am a sucker for rustic looking things and I saw these Brown sugar and oatmeal bars at the starycreek primitives online store while doing a search for something else - they are incredibly lovely!

and more can be found here:
http://www.starycreekprimitives.com/store/Default.asp

I want to make these - how would you make a sugar scrub bar? I am assuming that it would be like making a salt bar but with sugar instead of salt?????

Has anyone tried these? Are they sticky? Sugar increases lather and bubbles - so I guess you would have to not use as much CO. Anyone ever done these? I think I am going to give it a shot - any advice

I tried. They oozed syrup for a couple of days. They aren't really sticky anymore but they're softish. It's hard to descrbe the texture. They are 4 weeks out and I haven't used them yet. Doesn't help that I hate the FO that I used (see my post in the fragrance section about MMS Hinoki Wood). They've been banished to the garage for the smell and to take advantage of the desert heat and low humidty. Maybe I'll be brave today. I'll try it and let you know how it lathers.

I'm sorry to hear about your fragrance woes -

I sort of can remember reading somewhere that sugar soaps were leaky, and I imagine from personal experience of getting candy all over my face that it must be a little sticky.

So what exactly happened, did they ooze after being cut or did the whole bar just ooze? And what happened to the oozies - did it dry up or was it mopped up? Did it reabsorb? What does it feel like in the shower - I'm so excited to hear all about it. You must post some pics of it. (That's right - I demand it)

I wonder how StaryCreek guys got theirs to be so perfect - maybe they just let it ooze for months, and once it could ooze no more - demoulded.

I made a gorgeous chocolate vanilla soap today and threw in quite a whack of sugar - but to the lye water and not like as an additive, I want to see how that behaves.

But anyway - please do do do do tell how your sugar soap turned out! I hope it turns out great - cos I'd love to know that somewhere out there someone on this forum has made great sugar soap, and can hold my sweet loving hand through the process!

Tinc'

they are "grubbied" in brown sugar oatmeal (whatever that is) which means she rubs them with the stuff.

how much sugar did you use in your soap?

ETA: a sugar scrub bar is not a soap product but generally a mix of butters, emulsifiers, and sugar - a solid scrub, so to speak.

It started to ooze a couple of days after being cut. It was too thick to reabsorb (looked like honey). I just changed the freezer paper I had protecting the shelf. I just tried it today. It's not sticky anymore and it's firmed up quite a bit but still has a little spring to it. I hate the FO still. It's just not my style. I'm not into the heavy perfumey scents. They give me a headache. Maybe someone will like it. It lathers REALLY well and is a little scrubby but not harsh. It's really quite nice on the skin. I'm a little surprised. It was a small test batch mostly measured in grams because of the small amounts. Here's what I used:

Olive Oil 227g
Cocoa Butter 113g
Palm Kernel 113g
Water 172g
Lye 59g
Sugar 10 oz at trace
MMS Hinoki Wood .75oz/ppo
8% Superfat

No insulation but it still gelled. No color added, its a mottled peanut butter color. It's not pretty. It's kind of rough looking. I'll try and get around to taking pictures later on. All in all, not really bad. Needs a long cure. If I did it again, I wouldn't let my DH pick the scent.

she has soap balls on there as well, so maybe what she does is handmill and when she is rebatching throws in the brown sugar oatmeal. I assume Brown sugar oatmeal might just be ground oatmeal and brown sugar. So instead of making soap balls - she squishes them into the moulds - she even has fabulous moulds!!!

I love the look of those bars though - they kind of remind me of a local sweet dough thing we have here called Vetkoek!

Yummo's&Ya'smommy - So excited that your sugar soap turned out great - I think I definately might try a variation on that - I think I want to try it with Peanut Oil!

Kitn and Carebear hello! Carebear - excuse the ignorance but what is ETA, I'm guessing its not Estimated Time of Arrival?

Kitn - did you see the other bars? I so want them - too bad that shipping to S.A would cost more than the bars themselves - DOH!!!

Like carebear said, I do not think she adds sugar into the soap reipe. She rubs the finished bar w/ it to give it that distressed look.

You can search solid sugar scrub to find assorted recipes for making a sugar scrub that looks like a bar of soap. I LOVE them! I do not make them on purpose so that I can pamper myself & buy them from other people.

Wow, those bars are gorgeous in a very rustic sort of way, lol.
Im wondering though if they would work better if made with melt & pour? Mix the finely ground oatmeal with the brown sugar and then stir into the base. Just a thought.
I might have to try it. I actually wanted to try and make those cute little solid sugar scrub cubes that you put in a jar. But can't find a recipe :(

Blessed Be,
Donna

yep, you may be right and even though I have loads of work to do - I think thats what I want to try right now!!!

tincanac said:
yep, you may be right and even though I have loads of work to do - I think thats what I want to try right now!!!

I'm with you Tincanac.
I've been recovering from surgery for the past week and I'm itching to do some soaping. I don't think this would be too strenuous. So, I just may try these today.

Blessed Be,
Donna

Donna

there is a good recipe for those sugar cube things you were talking about on SOAP & THE FINER THINGS IN LIFE - here is a pasted version of the tutorial, as invented by Erin Pikor owner of Naiad Soap Arts and posted on S&TFTIL
These easy to make, festive scrubs combine cleansing glycerin soap with exfoliating sugar to make perfect single use solid sugar scrubs! Erin was generous enough to share it with SoapQueen.com readers. It can be done in all sorts of colors, not just patriotic seasonal ones.

This recipe makes approximately 24 ounce-ounce single use sugar scrubs.

What you’ll need:
4 oz. by weight clear glycerin soap (for the red and blue scrubs)
2 oz. by weight white glycerin soap (for the white scrubs)
6 oz. by weight grape seed oil (jojoba, sweet almond or olive oil may be substituted)
18 oz. by weight white sugar
Milk Way basic square mold
Pinkberry sherbet lab color
Red Apple Fragrance for your red scrubs
Brilliant blue lab color
Sun-Ripened Raspberry Fragrance for your blue scrubs
White Tea & Ginger Fragrance for your white scrubs
Blunt edge soap cutter or knife
2-cup glass measuring cup or melting soap
Spoons
Cutting surface
Wide mouth jars or plastic food containers for storage

These ingredients will be split into three batches - one each of red, white and blue!

Step one: Melt 2 oz. of clear soap in the microwave using your 2-cup glass measuring cup. This should take about 30 seconds.

Step two: Mix 2 oz. of your oil with the melted soap and stir until blended. The mix should still be liquid at this point. If it starts to thicken pop back in the microwave for a few seconds until your soap/oil mix is liquid.

Step three: Add color, pinkberry sherbet lab color to your liking and mix thoroughly. For this project I diluted the 10ml bottle of lab color in 2 oz. of water and used 4 drops. (skip this step for the white scrubs)

Step four: Add 20 drops of fragrance oil and mix thoroughly.

Step five: Add 6 oz. of the sugar and stir rigorously until completely blended.

Step six:pour or spoon into you mold cavities. You should have a thick yet pourable mixture at this point. If it is too thick to spoon or pour into your mold you may heat for a few seconds in the microwave, but don’t heat it for too long as the sugar will begin to dissolve.

Each color will make enough to fill 2 of the 4 cavities of the mold. Let harden to room temp and pop out of the mold! Note you may have to pat down the mixture with your fingers as it may thicken quickly.

Repeat steps one through six for your blue and white scrubs, making sure to use the white glycerin soap for the white scrubs.

Step seven: After you have all of the scrubs unmolded, cut them into quarters using a knife or soap cutter.

Store in an airtight container such as a wide mouth jar until you are ready to use them. The glycerin soap in the recipe makes for a creamy emulsified scrub when mixed with water. To use, just take one scrub into the shower, knead with a little water in the palm of your hand and scrub over your skin! These will stay fresh for 3 months and be sure to keep them away from moisture so they don’t melt. Enjoy!

Big thanks to Erin from Naiad Soap Arts You can always buy her pre-made sugar scrubs at her Etsy shop if you don't have the time or inclination to make them yourself. Happy Fourth of July! Have a safe and happy holiday celebration with your families.

OMG! Tincanac, you rock!!
Thank you so much for finding and posting this. It's exactly what I was thinking of. If I feel up to it (still recovering from surgery) I will try these tomorrow. :)

Blessed Be!
Donna

Hope you are feeling better and recovering from your surgery Donna. I want to soap so badly too, but I have to make Powerpoint presentations for work now - urrrghhhh - I'd much rather soap tonight!

Those are awesome soaps. I love the tree mold, very natural looking.

tincanac said:
Hope you are feeling better and recovering from your surgery Donna. I want to soap so badly too, but I have to make Powerpoint presentations for work now - urrrghhhh - I'd much rather soap tonight!

Aw, thanks Tincanac :) I'm recoving well. It's just a very slow process as it was a very major abdominal surgery. And I don't have the patience to wait out the recovery process. I don't like sitting/laying in bed and waiting, lol.

I did however get to make the single use scrubs yesterday and had a blast. It felt good to get into the shop again. I posted pics in the gallery here:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=123526#123526

Hope your power point presentation went well and you get to do some soaping soon :)

Blessed Be,
Donna

Has anyone had these single-use scrubs ooze oil? I'm wondering if it was the FO or just the oil I made them with... I made a successful batch with olive oil, and the one made with sweet almond oil is oozing. I blotted with a paper towel, so we'll see how they end up.

Latest posts

Back