No sugar no coconut ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds a bit weird - mine goes super thin like water in the blender. Are you sure it's aloe?
@KiwiMoose im not a botanist so I can’t say for sure - but the plants were labeled aloe vera and the look like what I understand AV to look like! I scoop the gel out, leaving the green outer layer for the compost, and blend the gel. It stays goopy. 🤷 I guess I thought that was normal!
I have been freezing the blended gel and when using as part of my liquid I end up with some that doesn’t dissolve into the lye. I press it out through a sieve.

DA596867-92AD-48F3-8F96-89A50CA38256.jpeg

Oh - yes I know that one. It is a variety of aloe, but not the one that we generally use here. I see that one as more ornamental - and the leaves aren't really big enough to get a decent amount of juice from.
This is the one I use: Aloe Vera
And this was an interesting read: 20 Different Types of Aloe Plants - Garden Lovers Club
That's the aloe I have, it's not ornamental and the leaves will get larger if put into a bigger pot. Mine are quite large, I use mainly for burns. It's aloe Vera barbadensis, many moons ago I had to do a talk on this.

That looks just like the ones grown in pots in my climate - but I don't have one of those. I normally buy a big, cut aloe branch (leaf?) from the grocery store, typically 2-3 ft long and probably 4-6 inches wide at the. base. The stuff that I scrape out is very gloppy and thick when blended, so I usually thin it out with distilled water. 🤷‍♀️

PS - they are usually labeled as coming from Mexico.
That sounds like cactus vs aloe Vera

Latest posts

Back