No More Fighting CO Out of the Jar!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in the UK CO is sold in bottles - glass bottles with a narrow neck, like old fashioned Coca Cola bottles and they have a metal ring on them, that is impossible to remove - I have no idea who thought about selling coconut oil (and Palm oil) like this in a country where the weather is too cold for CO to go liquid 12 months of the year....

I use CO for cooking as much as I use it for soaping and every time I look at the CO bottle I shake my head in disbelief....

Madpiano, is it possible to put this bottle in a warm water bath for a while (so as not to break it) and then pour the contents into a little bucket or any wide mouthed jar?

I am about to order some CO from ED in those gallon jugs. I am planning on using a pot of water on the stove to warm it enough to get it out. I thought to pour it into some plastic food storage tubs that are lined with plastic wrap to let it harden in. Anyone done that before that could give some pointers? I thought one lb chunks should be the most useful.

I am so blessed - I get my CO in 500g packs like butter. Can cut off what I need and wrap it back up with no issues. I pity you all with your jars and bottles and whatnot.

This would be great in the winter months, but around here, my CO melts at "room temp" during summer! We tend to keep the house around 78-80 F, because the cooling costs are so awful! If it were in a little foil or paper wrapper (like we get our butter), it would be quite the mess!! I'm happy with the wide-mouth jar (which would never fit in my microwave) and the giant SS spoon I use.

I am about to order some CO from ED in those gallon jugs. I am planning on using a pot of water on the stove to warm it enough to get it out. I thought to pour it into some plastic food storage tubs that are lined with plastic wrap to let it harden in. Anyone done that before that could give some pointers? I thought one lb chunks should be the most useful.

Just curious, why the plastic wrap?

I break down my large Soaper's Choice oils into food service containers I now buy from The Webstaurant store.- They are the 16 and 32oz PP #5 like the kind you get from Chinese restaurants for soup. I used to buy them from my favorite restaurant but I find I need larger volume now. A 7# jug fits into my crockpot to melt - stir/shake well and pour, label including batch numbers. Once my base recipes are finalized, I can have them ready to go. (At least that's the plan)....

So I can unmold them and put them into Ziploc bags for later use. I tend to use CO for liquid soaps in 16 oz increments, so that would be really easy to use later.

I see. I was able to pop my palm oil out by just pulling at the edges of the container. I also melted my shea and put it into a silicon ice tray. So much easier to work with

This would be great in the winter months, but around here, my CO melts at "room temp" during summer! We tend to keep the house around 78-80 F, because the cooling costs are so awful! If it were in a little foil or paper wrapper (like we get our butter), it would be quite the mess!! I'm happy with the wide-mouth jar (which would never fit in my microwave) and the giant SS spoon I use.

I have to say, until I read your post, I never thought about the numbers after the co as being Fahrenheit. Makes sense, though, as if they were Celsius then they would be solid a lot longer than they are!

Lol, if anyone wants a bottle of that coconut oil, I can probably send one. Yes, waterbath is the only way to get the coconut oil out of them, I generally melt it and then pour it into an old Margarine tub so it's easier to use for cooking (the soaping oil I just melt and use). The glass is really sturdy, so no need to be careful.

Here is a link to the product - it's the KTC brand in the bottle (they sell it in tubs as well, but not every shop carries it)
http://www.latiendagreece.com/product/ktc-coconut-oil/

Back