No lye in Ecuador

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncrsolo

Reaction score
Hello all Im new to this great tool of a forum! I have a question. I am currently looking to make soap and the problem Im coming across is not having the easy availability of lye. I have though found a drain cleaner here that has 98% sodium hydroxide. Yes I know your thinking don't use it! well let me explain more please here is the ingredients in the drain cleaner.

Composicion:
Sodium Hydroxide 98%, 1,3,5 Triazina-2,4,6
(1H,3H,5H) - Triono 1,3,5-Tricloro, 90%,
Sodium Chloride

Does anyone know if this would be safe?

Thank you!

do you have any place around you that makes biodiesel? they would need to use lye for the process.

good luck with your search!

Sodium Hydroxide is the lye.
http://scorecard.goodguide.com/chemical-profiles/pesticides.tcl?edf_substance_id=87-90-1
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, Arial]1,3,5-TRICHLORO-1,3,5-TRIAZINE-2,4,6 (1H,3H,5H)-TRIONE is a chlorinating chemical used in pools to fight algae and disinfect.
Sodium Chloride is salt.

I don't understand why it says 98% and then later 90%. What does the 90% apply to?

Brambleberry's Lye does not break out (that I could see) the sodium hydroxide from other ingredients.
Essential Depot has FOOD GRADE lye beads, 98% sodium hydroxide.
Essential Depot has TECH GRADE lye beads, 95% sodium hydroxide.
Both of these places sell lye for making soap.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Hi, I hope that what I will say to you helps. There is a way to make lye naturally. It is a long process but if you are willing. The way they used to do it in the old days was. They saved all the ashes and mix it with water and added it to the fat and there soap didn't always come out perfect but it sure was natural. If there are broken trees or fruit trees and hard trees are the best ash. If you really want to know how to make lye from ash let me know. I don't want to go thru the hold explanation if you are not interested. Good luck

Hi, I hope that what I will say to you helps. There is a way to make lye naturally. It is a long process but if you are willing. The way they used to do it in the old days was. They saved all the ashes and mix it with water and added it to the fat and there soap didn't always come out perfect but it sure was natural. If there are broken trees or fruit trees and hard trees are the best ash. If you really want to know how to make lye from ash let me know. I don't want to go thru the hold explanation if you are not interested. Good luck

I would really like to hear how you make lye!
Thanks

Yes, lye can be made. The problem is after it is made you do not know the strength, and therefore do not know how much to use in soapmaking. It is much safer to find a source and buy the lye.

As Ruthie stated there is no way to know what strength the lye is and it would be very difficult to make a safe soap without knowing. Hence why the old fashioned soap was generally pretty harsh.

Last edited:
"Lye" made from wood ash is potassium hydroxide not sodium hydroxide. So the resulting soap would be soft.

When looking for lye try asking for sodium hydroxide or caustic soda. When I went to a plumbing supply shop, I asked for lye and they didn't know what I wanted until I asked for caustic soda.

Hello all Im new to this great tool of a forum! I have a question. I am currently looking to make soap and the problem Im coming across is not having the easy availability of lye. I have though found a drain cleaner here that has 98% sodium hydroxide. Yes I know your thinking don't use it! well let me explain more please here is the ingredients in the drain cleaner.

Composicion:
Sodium Hydroxide 98%, 1,3,5 Triazina-2,4,6
(1H,3H,5H) - Triono 1,3,5-Tricloro, 90%,
Sodium Chloride

Does anyone know if this would be safe?

Thank you!
Hi there! I'm in Ecuador as well. I used to have a permit to buy NaOH at a chemical supply house but do not have a permit anymore. I'm working on getting another. In the meantime I want to make soap so bad! I picked up a bottle of the 98% sodium hydroxide (Lejia Sello Rojo). I just want to try it but I hate to be wasteful and worried it won't come out. Did you successfully make good soap with Lejia Sello Rojo?? I will be so grateful for your response!

Hi there! I'm in Ecuador as well. I used to have a permit to buy NaOH at a chemical supply house but do not have a permit anymore. I'm working on getting another. In the meantime I want to make soap so bad! I picked up a bottle of the 98% sodium hydroxide (Lejia Sello Rojo). I just want to try it but I hate to be wasteful and worried it won't come out. Did you successfully make good soap with Lejia Sello Rojo?? I will be so grateful for your response!

This post is from 2013 so it's not likely you will get a response. You may want to start a new thread.

Welcome to the forum!

Latest posts

Back