Not pure lye - concerns??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amisacho

Reaction score
I don't know where else to ask other than a forum of soap experts! So, here in Ecuador NaOH isn't sold pure since we border with Colombia and NaOH is used to make cocaine...So! the only NaOH that I can get access to comes in pellets with the ingredients list: sodium hydroxide, sodium chloride, trichloroisocyanuric acid. Any advice, advertencies..reasons not to use this? This is recommended by various artisenal soap makers in Ecuador.. (sold on shelves for pipe cleaning)

THANKS FOR YOUR FEEDBACK!!

I have no idea what the safety data sheet is for the mixture of NaOH and trichloroisocyanuric acid you are looking at. The best way to get that info is to look at the label on the product container for safety warnings. Or look at the manufacturer or supplier's website -- often the label on the product will have the website URL. Another option is to locate the "CAS" number for the product and find the safety info using the CAS number.

Although you say other soap makers in your area are using NaOH mixed with this acid, I really do question whether it's a wise idea to use this NaOH mixture in soap making. Trichloroisocyanuric acid sounds like pretty potent stuff.

Wikipedia says trichloroisocyanuric acid is often used a source of chlorine gas, and it is commonly used as a disinfectant and bleaching agent. I understand this trichloroisocyanuric acid releases chlorine gas when dissolved in water, so you would be exposed to chlorine gas while making the lye solution and later when making the soap. Chlorine gas is a strong irritant to the respiratory system, eyes, and skin.

The usual particulate mask won't do a thing to remove chlorine gas -- you need a chemical respirator fitted with the correct canisters that can absorb chlorine gas.

The trichloroisocyanuric acid doesn't entirely convert into chlorine gas so there would be other residues left behind in the finished soap -- would these residues be toxic or irritating to the skin? I don't know.

Back