Nightmare before christmas :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goc253

Reaction score
How optimistic of me (or just plain silly i think)

Planning what to make for all my female relatives this year, I thought...."why dont i make them all bath and body hampers" The plan was, soaps, body scrub, body butter and little lip balms.

Got my supplies delivered 2 weeks late due to the awful weather over here in england, leaving me 3 days before christmas day to make the things. Rubbish right, sooooo rushed.

I set out tonight to make the sugar scrub and body butter, but my scrub has turned out absolutely horrible, its like smearing cooking grease on your skin (according my other half who volunteered to test both my attempts in the shower) My recipe was:

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup jojoba oil
2 tsp honey
vitamin E

I'v thought this would be so simple to make and sounded like it would be lovely to use but Its awful. So, panicking just a lil bit, I checked on here to see if i could save it at all.

Someone suggests making a whipped butter and adding sugar and jojoba oil so i whizzed up some mango and cocoa butter and slowly added 1/4 cups of the crappy scrub. It felt brilliant in my skin but just would not come off! I still feel like 'im covered in the stuff an hour later . FAIL.

Anyway, lesson learned. if you think you've done enough research, DO SOME MORE!

Iv since read that emulsified scrubs are the best was to avoid the nasty after-feel of sugar scrubs, but i really don't like the look of all those chemicals. I'd love to know if there is anything that would replicate the feel of an emulsified scrub (preferably with ingredients that I can pronounce!), and quick!

Iv given up for tonight, sofa, T.V and a very strong G&T..........and breathe.

Happy christmas to you all XXX

Hazel's suggestion about the bath bombs is great. If you don't have any citric acid or ingredients for emulsifying scrubs, here are a couple of emergency options...

you could go to Michael's tomorrow and buy a kit of melt and pour soap and fragrances and make some melt and pour soaps for each lady.

or, if you don't make lotion already, you can buy some unscented, nice lotion, add a little bit of scent to each and bottle them up for a nice scented gift. you can make little labels on your computer for either one of these.

I mean, it's not handmade and is kind of a last resort option, but should still be cheaper and less stressful than running around the mall trying to buy a bunch of last minute gifts =\ let us know how everything turns out!

The main problem I see wit your scrub is there is no preservative, so even if you loved how it felt on your skin, it will mold in the jar.

It takes much trial and error to get a product right. It may 'look' simple on paper, but if it was, we would all be wealthy selling our bath and body products straight out of the shoot.

I can tell you a simple recipe I do enjoy that is a no fail.

1 part unscented liquid soap or bubble bath
1 part olive oil or other oil of your choice
1 part honey
scent of your choice

This is fabulous ihn the bath tub as a soak. The honey is amazingly silky on the skin. I call it 'Honey of a Bath' and it's always well received!

Tabitha said:
The main problem I see wit your scrub is there is no preservative, so even if you loved how it felt on your skin, it will mold in the jar.

It takes much trial and error to get a product right. It may 'look' simple on paper, but if it was, we would all be wealthy selling our bath and body products straight out of the shoot.

I can tell you a simple recipe I do enjoy that is a no fail.

1 part unscented liquid soap or bubble bath
1 part olive oil or other oil of your choice
1 part honey
scent of your choice

This is fabulous in the bath tub as a soak. The honey is amazingly silky on the skin. I call it 'Honey of a Bath' and it's always well received!
What an awesome recipe! The beauty of it is you can customize it with EOs - for instance, right now, there's a bunch of sick people around the house and the office so adding eucalyptus, lavender or others would make a great decongestant at the same time!
Thank you!!

The recipe will seperate (which looks pretty cool) so you might want to add 'shake before using' to the label.

Latest posts

Back