Newly addicted

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pizzaface

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

I saw a picture of someone reading a book on soaping one day and I got curious, looked into it.. and maybe a week or two later was making my first test batch of CP!

I've made some more, maybe.. 4 or 5 times now.. and i've been playin around experimenting with some things... tea instead of water.. or some orange zest used for fragrance.. which went very nice with some dark cocoa powder

been readin these forums to get as much info as i can!
no fragrance oils yet but i've ordered some just tonight and they should come soon i hope!

in my first couple batches i used those grocery store peppermint/lemon extracts, they added a nice smell but not super overpowering.

i'm really looking forward to trying out milk based soaps and other fun stuff!

One question i've got.. in my first few batches, i cut the larger logs 24-36hrs after pouring and they were already quite firm. the most recent batch i've made.. i used steeped jasmine tea instead of water for my lye solution. and the logs are firm on the outside, but if i cut into them, it's MUCH darker and kind of.. fudge-y? even 5 days after pouring.
I've already cut them all into bars and kind of -hoping- they'll firm up easier now with more surface exposed..

this was 75% Olive Oil 25% Coconut oil.. superfatted with a touch of grapeseed.. .5oz per lb. tea:lye ratio was 34%

just wondering if the soap should be okay? or if it will stay kind of soft like this..

For CP, you can add all your oils and butters up front. The lye is still active at this point and it will take whatever it wants. Unless you get the actual soap tested, there is no way to know which of your oils were superfatted and which were saponified.

Extracts usually are diluted, so you won't get much scent from them. You are better off using fragrances or essential oils.

If the logs are firm on the outside. but still soft and darker on the inside, that could be from gelling. I would wait to cut them til the logs are completely cool; sometimes overnight.

x

:D welcome! :D

i have that problem when my soaps don't go thru a full gel (heat up)

it could take up to a week before cutting, but it is still soap, so it'll be just fine.
glad to have you on the forum!

Pizzaface said:
Hey everyone :)

I saw a picture of someone reading a book on soaping one day and I got curious, looked into it.. and maybe a week or two later was making my first test batch of CP!

I've made some more, maybe.. 4 or 5 times now.. and i've been playin around experimenting with some things... tea instead of water.. or some orange zest used for fragrance.. which went very nice with some dark cocoa powder

been readin these forums to get as much info as i can!
no fragrance oils yet but i've ordered some just tonight and they should come soon i hope!

in my first couple batches i used those grocery store peppermint/lemon extracts, they added a nice smell but not super overpowering.

i'm really looking forward to trying out milk based soaps and other fun stuff!

One question i've got.. in my first few batches, i cut the larger logs 24-36hrs after pouring and they were already quite firm. the most recent batch i've made.. i used steeped jasmine tea instead of water for my lye solution. and the logs are firm on the outside, but if i cut into them, it's MUCH darker and kind of.. fudge-y? even 5 days after pouring.
I've already cut them all into bars and kind of -hoping- they'll firm up easier now with more surface exposed..

this was 75% Olive Oil 25% Coconut oil.. superfatted with a touch of grapeseed.. .5oz per lb. tea:lye ratio was 34%

just wondering if the soap should be okay? or if it will stay kind of soft like this..

welcome to the forum!! that recipe sounds fine, it will take about a month to cure and get harder, ive had bars start out really mushy and then turn into beautiful veeeery hard bars a few weeks down the line!... give it some time! :)

Latest posts

Back