Newbie!!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think gel phasing in the oven is a better option than a heating blanket?

• Oven

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Blanket

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Diva-B-Soapin

Reaction score
Hello all new to the soap world and I am so excited! I've been reading and researching all types of recipes.... but I don't know why some of my soap looks grainy on top and then it doesn't with the same recipe..

No matter if I force gel in the oven or let it set on a rack?

I find what ever is most convenient is what I choose to do when it comes to encouraging gel.

I have even used a microwave oven and the defrost setting to encourage gel while traveling and that was the best option available at the time.

I think it also depends on if one chooses to use electricity, gas or other heat source, for whatever reason (cost, availability, size of soap mold, etc.)

Welcome to the forum. You can force gel by insulating your soap with towels and setting in a warm spot (garage, next to a window window, even in a closed car in the summer).

Any way is fine as long as you keep an eye out and can control the heat if it looks like things are getting too warm. If things get too warm, you can end up with a grainy top, cracking, and/or other issues.

Like Earlene said- there are several variables to consider when encouraging gel. The five most important variables to me are batch size, mold type, lye concentration, soaping temp, and oven temp. I mainly use my oven, but in the summer I just wrap my mold and put it in my hot garage.

For what it's worth, I mostly make 1.3 lbs to 2.8 lb batches in insulated wood molds with a 33% lye concentration. I soap warm (110F-120F), and only need to preheat my oven to 110F and then immediately turn it off once I put my covered mold inside and keep it there for 12 to 18 hours in order to achieve a problem-free full gel. My oven does not have a pre-set preheat setting of 110F, but it reaches 110F within 3 minutes of me just turning it on. So, I basically just turn my oven on for 3 minutes and then turn it off.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back