Newbie wants to make a few soy candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

law

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I thought I would be making soap, but I broke my silly foot on vacation. No moving lye with broken foot. Anyway, I thought I might make a few soy candles. I have a few jars, used once, about 5x4. You guys are WAY over my head. I only want to pour new candles in the old jars. Which soy should I use and what wick. No color or fragrance....I do like amber and CK
Obsession, so I am tempted, but NO I will only do simple to start. Anyone care to offer an opinion as to which soy I should try?

Thanks!

I'm not asking about how you make your own candles or propriety information, burn times or fragrance info, I'm simply asking what is the easiest soy for a newcomer. Is that beyond sharing?

you're angry after a half hour?
give us a minute, this forum isn't super busy, especially the candle area

No, I am not angry, I am impatient. I was hoping to order some wax today. I just wanted a little help. Even an "I don't know" would have been nice. There were almost 50 views. The easier the question, the sooner the answer. This was an easy question. I have followed many of you, and purchased your soaps and candles. You did not know me, but I researched every purchase. I only wanted to try the best. I wanted to learn the best soapmakers and candlemakers. I have been impressed with your abilities. I am an expert in my field. I always have time to talk to a beginner. The more he knows, the more he will buy from us, because we are the best. Sorry, if you thought I was angry. I just wanted to clarify my question.

We are primarily a community of soapers. For candle expertise i suggest craftserver.com.

Regarding rapid response time, we read between dozens and hundreds of posts and generally people don't respond unless they have something constructive to add. Else the forum would contain page after page of "I don't know" and "yea, what she said". Forum etiquette is to contribute meaningfully.

Oh, and I don't know what the easiest soy is, since that is only one of my criteria and not the most important. I need to balance ease, proice, hot row, and cold throw. Oh and also thereis pure soy and then soy with veggie additives.

Selection of wick isn't simple either since it will depend on your wax, your FO, your FO amount, whether or not you color your candles, your container type and dimensions, and probably some more things I'm not thinking of.

Most candle supply websites will make suggestions as to which containers work w/ which whicks & which waxes. I am ot a candlemaker.

Go to a website like Peak Candle Supply. You need a container wax, they sell one or two, read and pick one. Wicks are by jar size, they have a bunch of different ones but will tell by size jar width. The easiest way to start is to use a knowledgeable web-site to tell you what you need.

Agree that Peak Candle or New Direction Aromatics are good places to start. Both have a lot of helpful information on waxes, proper wick sizes and much more.

CB 135 is the best, IME for container candles. I'm still tweaking some of it. I've had excellent results in all candles for scent throw (using soy compatible fragrance, and I like Candlescience.com for their ratings in soy). The tops, on the other hand, are still a little variable with different scents (or possibly with temperatures?). Still learning myself, but CB 135 is the best so far, producing my only perfect candles. Ecosoya Advance has produced beautiful tops, but the scent throw is null. Cold throw is great in that wax, but hot is non-existant, unless you're in another room (weird). So, start with CB 135. As for wick, I use 12, but the number (size) will vary depending on your container size. 12 works wonders for jelly jar size (regular lid, not wide mouth). Check recommendations for sizing for your containers specifically. 12 works for 3-4 inches. Basically, for every inch of container diameter, you want one hour to burn until you reach a burn pool of .25-.5". So if your container is 3", you want to reach the burn pool depth in 3 hours.

ElkRiverSoapCompany said:
I am a candle dummy. I dont have a clue. Would love to be able to make yummy smelling nicely burning candles.

i know i'm reviving an old can of worms, but my two cents anyway. your products look totally yummy and enticing, but i take exception to saying all-natural soap when you're using fragrance oils, which are synthetic. ditto on the bath salts -- essential oils do not include honeysuckle and other artificial fragrances. aside from that, nice job on the website.

I agree. Not all of our soaps are 100% natural. We do have several soaps and salts that are made with essential oils making them all natural. The soaps that are made with fragrances are 97% natural. Thanks for taking a look at our site!

i just think you need to be specific about all-natural. a consumer who doesn't really know their stuff is going to be misled about the all-natural label, when clearly some of them are not. i suggest clarifying on a category-wide basis. it's unethical, and possibly against federal regulations, not to do so.

I am sorry you feel this way, however, we are in no way violating any federal regulations. Our description on our soap page clearly states some of our items are not 100% natural due to fragrance oils. Also, the products that are 100% natural state 100% natural. I agree that someone not completely reading the information could be misled. However, if the information is read completely it does state the information on there.

well, it's easy to mislead an unknowing public -- we all know how to do that if we wish. many of us choose to take the higher ground and let consumers know exactly, without ambiguation, what they're getting. i feel it's only fair to my customers, and i wouldn't feel right saying otherwise. you can do whatever you wish to sidestep regulations and verbiage. just stating my opinion -- that it's unfair to the consumer. that's my two cents and no more.

I understand it is your opinion... however, I have not stepsided ANY regulations or mislead my customers. I clearly stated that had you read the print... not fine print... the category description and also the product description it is clearly stated. I am sorry that you did a quick glance over the site and decided to assume that it was not worded correctly and formed your opinion... but it is what it is and opinion. I have in no way shape or form mislead anyone or hidden anything from anyone.

Latest posts

Back