newbie new formulas less coconut oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janine

Reaction score
lm still researching the formulas of soap making can anyone please give me advice lm looking for a hard bar l have reduce the olive oil intake due to it can be drying on the skin would like to make my soap on weekend l have 5 days off work and can't wait no longer lol...
Do you think l have to much Palm finding it hard on soap calc to make bar soap hard if l don't add this amounts..

Attachments

• View_Print Recipe palm 60.pdf
    59.4 KB · Views: 27
lm still researching the formulas of soap making can anyone please give me advice lm looking for a hard bar l have reduce the olive oil intake due to it can be drying on the skin would like to make my soap on weekend l have 5 days off work and can't wait no longer lol...
Do you think l have to much Palm finding it hard on soap calc to make bar soap hard if l don't add this amounts..
I have always understood olive oil to be mild and nourishing/ moisturizing oil. Initially with unmolding the OO makes a soft bar but with curing it makes a hard bar from what I understand. If you google soap making oils you will get a pretty good description usually how each oil benefits soap.

I would add in 10% CO unless you cannot use it, lower the palm to 40-45% lower the shea to 10-15%, up the olive oil to make 100%, if that is your soft oil of choice. Olive oil is not drying, coconut oil is the oil with contains the cleansing myristic and lauric acids which make bubbly, but stripping soap. You can use the shea at 20% but with no CO or Palm Kernel Oil you will not get much lather.

I would add in 10% CO unless you cannot use it, lower the palm to 40-45% lower the shea to 10-15%, up the olive oil to make 100%, if that is your soft oil of choice. Olive oil is not drying, coconut oil is the oil with contains the cleansing myristic and lauric acids which make bubbly, but stripping soap. You can use the shea at 20% but with no CO or Palm Kernel Oil you will not get much lather.

I agree with cmzaha on the recommended percentages.

Last edited:
lm not sure if this will give me a hard bar and long lasting l would like firm can you look please
j

Attachments

• latest.pdf
    59.5 KB · Views: 15
Coconut is the oil which will make this soap feel drying. At 45% of the recipe it would be too drying for most members here.

Take a step back - what is your aim? On what reasoning did you base this recipe? For example, why did you put 45% coconut?

lm not sure if this will give me a hard bar and long lasting l would like firm can you look please
j

Your CO is a bit too high for sure. I would drop it to 20-25 (I don't have a sensitivity to it). I would add the difference to Olive, HO Safflower, HO Sunflower or Rice Bran. Castor 5%. Should give you a decent bar of soap after cure.

Keep in mind that the hardness number is for the physical hardness, not for longevity. 100% coconut oil soap is hard as a rock but is very soluble so it doesn't last long.

use 50% lard or palm will give you a long lasting bar. This is my go to recipe, last a good long time and isn't drying.

50% lard (you can use palm oil but lard is better)
25% olive oil
20% coconut
5% castor

I would have sworn you posted this same question in another new thread and I answered it. Coconut Oil in high percentages makes a very soluble drying soap, which is why it is a boater's /sailors soap, it lathers in salt water. Or maybe it was a pm to me I answered, not sure now.

I would have sworn you posted this same question in another new thread and I answered it. Coconut Oil in high percentages makes a very soluble drying soap, which is why it is a boater's /sailors soap, it lathers in salt water. Or maybe it was a pm to me I answered, not sure now.

Yes, it was asked in another thread. You're not losing it..... ha ha I found the other thread after I posted in this one.

Hi guy, thank you for your help l will try lard can you buy in supermarket. Can l ask why l should'nt use palm l just have so much of it l wanted to get rid of but lm ok with this, Is it because Palm traces to quickly. Been so busy with work l will try another formula soon using these products. So can anyone tell me the best products for soap making so l can do swirls ect and a nice hard bar of soap, lm thinking l purchased the wrong oils all good l will learn...
J

You can buy lard in the supermarket (in the US anyway). You can also use the palm, it just traces faster than lard. So maybe use both to use some of it up. How about this:
25% coconut, 25-30% lard, 15-20% palm, 25% olive, 5% castor. It will give you a hard bar. I'd also suggest making a small batch to see how you like it. Then make a batch with just lard, one with just palm, and then one adding in 10% shea butter.

Back