newbie from Missouri

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kala1983

Reaction score
hi there all, my name is Sarah I am from Missouri I am wanting to learn more about the art of soap making for myself and possibly for profit,
I have gotten stated with a few good books such as The Soap Maker's Companion by Miller Cavitch
and The Natural Soap book by her as well.

I have to say I will probably be more interested in learning the hot process method frist but I hope to learn how to cold process as well at some point in time.
I would love to find some great places where can I stalk up on supplies I might need for good prices. As well as easy tutorials for me to get started on.

I'll certainly check out both thanks!
has anyone ever used silicon cookie molds? I found a few down in Branson while I was down there one of the days that does the really old fashioned displays of making lye soap told us she uses them all the time for making great molds for her soap. (at silver dollar city)
and the fact that I found a fair portion of them at a 1 shop just makes it even nicer.
can't wait to try em out and see how well they work.

now this is going to really show just how much of a newbie I really am but in the second link it says to aid in the lye and and oil like you would with CP
what are the dirt basic things you need when you begin making soap, lol partly I am asking since I want to try and go out somewhere in town and find the stuff I need to get started and I am not entirely sure just what all that might be.

so i have yet another question I can't seem to find places in town that sell Lye what I am wondering is are there places online i can purchase it, and what sites would you all recommend.
how much can expect to pay that sort of thing....

Welcome to the forum Kala! I purchase my lye locally from Ace Hardware and I believe the costs is $3.79 for a 1# container (Roto brand - make sure it says 100% lye and don't confuse it with drain cleaners!)

lol I actually found some in ironically the oddest place...I was at my local yarn shop and was asking them were they though I could find some and my friend that owns the shop pops back in the room with two different sized containers of the stuff...apparently she uses it in dying with indigo as well.

I just found it more so ironic cause I had been trying to look for places to go and purchase the stuff nearly all morning.

You just made me have a flashback to running all over town, trying everywhere and everyplace I could imagine, to purchase lye.
My husband and I moved to this small town a few years ago-- things are a little different here...
Anyway- the best reaction I got was at a Tractor Supply Store- the salesguy looked at me and said "Whuht? You wanna bah lah?" (I'm trying to capture his drawl...) "Whut wood you wanna go an do that fer? It's fer makin Meth. Do you make meth, mam?"
I'm pretty girly, and sweet and quiet- and I like to bake cookies, and sew...
I'm the last person in the world who would be suspected of making drugs!! And the guy was totally serious. I tilted my head a bit... wrinkled my brow with a puzzled expression, and decided that conversation wasn't worth my time.
I get mine from AAA Chemical (online) or The Essential Depot (online- and with really great volume pricing). I buy food grade. It's actually less expensive sometimes, and I like that it doesn't have heavy metal contaminants.

Latest posts

Back