Newbie 2nd & 3rd CP batches

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyPickles106

Reaction score
I made two batches this past weekend and think I probably need to do something differently for both batches but not sure what. The first batch was made with Lard and Lye/water. The batch seemed to trace just fine and looked okay till I started to cut it and each slice crumbled.

The second batch was a Coffee/Chocolate batch following a recipe. The top of it had spots of oil after 48 hours cure time.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated as I am very new to this and it's been a long time since I took chemistry.:-?

Lard 30914 2 web.jpg

Mocha 30914 4 web.jpg

Mocha 30914 CP Soap web.jpg

hello, and welcome.

first off, the pictures are really teenie, and hard to see (for me anyway). also, for help, please post your full recipe and process of making. it'll help with filling in blanks or finding where something went wrong....

Reply Info

Mocha Soap
4 oz each coconut oil, palm oil, palm kernel oil. 2 oz each cocoa butter and grape seed oil. 2.4 oz lye. 6 oz coffee and 1 tsp cocoa. At full trace I added Tbsp of coffee grounds. I mixed the lye/water and oils @ ~ 110F.

Lard Soap 6% SF
32 oz Lard, 4.15 oz lye, 12.16 oz water. This was the soap that crumbled when slicing the bars.

Okay I've increased the size but still not sure limit so hopefully you can see them now.

Lard web.jpg

Mocha bar web.jpg

Mocha loaf web.jpg

Back