Newbeee, starting off with melt & pour, have questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristelCreations

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am new to all this, and to get me started in the easiest way, I am going to start experimenting with the melt & pour.

I have done a bit of research and I'm still learning the soap world lingo. I have a couple questions though...

1. Do I need to worry about the "trace" thing with melt & pour
2. how do you make a textured top layer...like, say you have a pink solid bar and want to add a "whipped topping" effect layer on top, how do you do that?
3. can I use silicone bake wear as my molds? I read somewhere that you could, but just want to be sure.

Thanks so much for any insight you can give me!

1. Do I need to worry about the "trace" thing with melt & pour -No.

2. how do you make a textured top layer...like, say you have a pink solid bar and want to add a "whipped topping" effect layer on top, how do you do that? -I have never tried ti make whipped M&P. I have seen tutorials online though. If I remember where I will post a link.

3. can I use silicone bake wear as my molds? I read somewhere that you could, but just want to be sure. -Yes, it makes a fabulous mold, very easy to get the soap back out of!

Here you go:

http://www.teachsoap.com/askam2.html#whipped

"Do I really need special melt and pour to make up whipped soap? I saw some at my local craft store that was $7 per pound!

No, you don't need special melt and pour. Simply take your white melt and pour, melt it down in a double boiler, and while the soap is melted in the double boiler, use a hand blender/mixer at medium speed until the soap is nice and bubbly. If you want less bubbles, use a lower speed. You should add your fragrance before blending the soap."

If this is what you mean I have made a type of whipped/floating soap. Once I tried it I put some water in the melt and pour and then let it cool a little bit and whisked it. The second time I added water but used an electric mixer. I failed once trying to do it by hand. Mainly to get it to "float you have to make sure air pockets are formed in the soap during the "moldable" process. The air pockets are what helps the soap float.

Back