newb process question about folding over

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruntedsoaps

Reaction score
HP process

well this is my 3rd batch. the 1st went according to recipe, so did the 2nd; the 3rd I decided to play with soap calc until I found something I liked.

I believe it was 50% CO 30%OO 7% Castor oil and 13% safflower oil. and Orange EO

So anywho, I used the base superfat that's on super calc, I believe 7-10%.....kind of forgot the recipe now. but

it never folded over into itself in the crock pot. it cooked well, It mixed till trace, cooked real good actually, all the way to mashed potato condition, but never folded over...

do all soaps react differently while cooking? this one, when I let it set for a while before mixing, it literally had a giant cube of white soap in the center, and oil all around until I mixed it. Is this normal?

Not all soaps will turn and yes the white glob in the middle is normal. The basic super fat on soap calc is 5%. You might find your soap a little drying with 50% coconut oil. If your not happy with it next time try keeping the coconut to 20% and up the olive or add some palm or lard. It makes a more balanced bar. Report back when you try it out.

thanks for the info! I definitely tried to keep as much CO as I can, because I truly want to keep the lather it gives. I definitely don't think I left it at 5%. I just tried some dry chips and pieces and it left my hands amazingly smooth.

it is more..sticky waxy like I read from other posts, but I don't mind it at all. a little hard to pull out the mold, but nothing crazy. what I definitely noticed was the scent; I freakin love oranges. lol.

Sistrum, thanks for the reassurance, I truly thought I misguided a step and left SUPERDUPERfatting into the situation. but after the mixing and everything it went perfectly well.

One thing ive also noticed, is...this stuff expands to double at least in the crock pot. Its definitely the coconut oil that does this. it makes it hard to mix, it gets very fluffy

im going to try and not use it for 2 weeks as it dries. Usually after 2 days im all about using it. It seems to be just fine, I am unsure why I should leave it longer, but consensus for HP 2 weeks is what to do.

I've only hp'd twice and both times it never folded over on itself. My recipe was only 20% CO but I attributed my experience to too high of heat while cooking. My crockpot has a mind of it's own with two heat levels despite the numbers on the dial - high and off.

I've had recipes that don't fold, that are volcanic but lucky never over flowed, and some that fold over beautifully. I start out on high during the mixing, then turn it down to low until it turns or has been cooking for about 20 mins. Then I turn the whole thing off and let it cook with the heat that is there. Just don't touch it during cook. It turns a nice light fluffy consistency and wonderful soap. I don't get too worried anymore about the look during the cook. Sistrum is right I would scale down the CO and up the OO. If you don't want to use palm because of the whole sustainable issue, sub for shea or cocoa butter. I buy my palm at Whole Foods in the bakery section. It's Spectrum brand shortening and its all palm from farms in Columbia. It's a little expensive, but it eases my conscience. Good luck!

Last edited:
sustainable issue? what is it being harvested like crazy or something?

I have a huge jug of palm oil. my superfatting on the bar is pretty high, I feel it in the soap. so it should be good to go with the CO and OO levels.

thanks everyone for setting my nerves though. each time Ive made soap so far, it has had different reactions while cooking it. and since im new. its always a worry statement.

The soaps on my window sill on this windy night, and it smells outstanding!

I attached some photos for you guys to check out. let me know what you think

20131005_222111.jpg

20131005_222135.jpg

20131005_222158.jpg

thanks Savonierre, the ones that were molded into the cup shape was in a muffin pan. lol. I tried this simple formula to figure out how much oil you need for a mold, turned out way too much oil. and had to improvise lol. but the orange essential oil is definitely my favorite, I may mix sandlewood into it.

so they've been drying and have a unique aftersmell, is it possible I burned the essential oil where it gives off an odd smell?

Yay! You have soap. Everytime I make it it's like a miracle happens! The reason why a lot of people don't use palm oil is that when it is harvested wild it destroys orangutan's habitats.

I have a mold that I always have overflow and I use Caesar dog food containers. They look amazing unmolded.

Latest posts

Back