New Year Castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I popped mine out of the mold, but my first cut wasn't too smooth so I'll hold off on cutting more.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1451680712.083104.jpg

Happy new year everyone! I'm making my Castile tonight! Will post pics!

REAL Castile = olive oil, water, & lye ONLY and yes, it takes a full year (give or take) to properly cure.

Just made a small batch of castile - very excited to see how it will turn out in 2017

Thanks!

Wow, I'm having a hard time waiting 4 weeks for my first batch...can't imagine a year!

That's why it is not recommended for your first batch. First you need to develop the addiction and have a hundred or so bars stacked all around the house. THEN you can make a batch of Castile and "lose it " for the cure time it takes to get really good. May want to throw a batch of salt bars in about the same time. You can start a test bar in 3 or 4 months with those.

We do it because it's worth the wait.

My first batch of castile (adulterated with a bit of silk in the lye water) is three months old now. With so many other soaps to try, it's not been too challenging to keep it on the curing racks.
I love the idea of New Years soap though, I may be off a day, but will put this on my list for tomorrow.

My first batch of castile (adulterated with a bit of silk in the lye water) is three months old now. With so many other soaps to try, it's not been too challenging to keep it on the curing racks.
I love the idea of New Years soap though, I may be off a day, but will put this on my list for tomorrow.

I like the idea of a New Years soap too, but only being I have 1 batch under my belt, I'd better hold off and try it another time.

I'd love to get to the day where I have so many soaps to try I'm not chomping at the bit to use one that is curing.

I'm with deedles - I'd rather make castile then eat black eyed peas so I'm down for making it a tradition.

I'm out of town right now but will make mine Sunday.

I like the idea of a New Years soap too, but only being I have 1 batch under my belt, I'd better hold off and try it another time.

I'd love to get to the day where I have so many soaps to try I'm not chomping at the bit to use one that is curing.

My second batch was castile soap. I got back into soaping this past August (after a weak attempt about 15 years ago); my first batch was coconut milk soap, my second was castile. I did castile because of the simple ingredient list. At that point, I didn't realize it could take a year to cure. I haven't stopped since. Almost every weekend since has seen another batch or two of soap added to my "stash".

Once I had a few other batches made, I just put the castile in a cardboard box and slid it under the spare bed. At least, I think that's where it is. :think:

Castile is such a simple soap, its perfect for a beginner. Plus, how will you ever get to the point of having too much soap if you don't make soap?:)

I don't much care for castile and I have enough curing for now but I think I might try the excess water/lye heavy castile if I can dig up the thread with the instructions.

I am going to make a batch this evening. I started soaping about a year ago and saw a similar thread on here so I made a batch last year and it is amazing now. I used 5% super fat and it was "snotty" after three months, but not at all now. It's perfect for my face. Or anything really.

Question: what fragrances have you had good luck with lasting through the cure time? I used WSP's Euphoria (a floral) and it stuck really well but I'd love some suggestions.

I'm curious about scents too. I've only used essential oils till now. The best so far was lavender eo but at the year mark it started developing dos, which could have been the cardboard box too. I recently made one with rose kaolin clay and rose water for the liquid but it definitely didn't retain any fragrance.

My unscented holds up beautifully so maybe I'll just leave it unscented.

Back