New Year Castile

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

GrantLee63

Reaction score
Haven't seen any threads on New Year Castile - seems there was a LOT of discussion about it in past years. This is the third consecutive year I'm making it - hot process this time (I know I read a thread somewhere that indicated making HP Castile was the only way to get decent lather - we'll see in 366 days '16 is a leap year!). Am I the only one making it?

traderbren

Reaction score
I bought the olive oil today when I went to BJ's. I plan to make one as well. My only other Castile is on 6 months now.

traderbren

Reaction score
So yeah. I realized I might be in no shape to soap tomorrow so while hubs was working in the garage on the hot rod, I mixed up my loaf. All olive oil, a little sodium citrate, and Sacred Sandalwood FO from NG. No color. It's in the oven now (turned off, of course!)

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I was going to refrain from making any more Castiles ever since discovering how much better I like Genny's shampoo bar formula for a gentle bar made with no cleansing oils, but I just might try a small Castile batch HP'd since I've never HP'd a Castile before.

IrishLass :)

traderbren

Reaction score
If anyone has Castile they just don't like, it makes an incredible bait for mousetraps...

After a mouse tasted every single one of my soaps from my July batch, I sacrificed a few small cubes to the mousetrap gods, and it's very effective. I could probably start a business with them.

GrantLee63

Reaction score
I will say I was extremely impressed with the vast quantities of lather that was generated as I was cleaning up the crockpot - sure it was just all in my head though ...

LoveOscar

Reaction score
I just made an 80% OO bastile soap. I could, after picking up some more OO, add a pure castile to the mix. Never against more soap!

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone has Castile they just don't like, it makes an incredible bait for mousetraps...

After a mouse tasted every single one of my soaps from my July batch, I sacrificed a few small cubes to the mousetrap gods, and it's very effective. I could probably start a business with them.
It's a sad thing that I'm now considering making a full-on castile for this sole purpose. I'm not keen on castiles anyway but I've only used other people's.

GrantLee63

Reaction score
I will say this ... the first batch I made with a 5% SF had that 'classic' slimy, snotty lather that everyone talks about. The batch I made a year ago with a 1% SF (no zap) was infinitely better in that there was noticeably less slime, and noticeably more 'real' lather. I'm anxious to see what the HP batch (with 1% SF) I made today is going to do relative to lather ... a year from now!

traderbren

Reaction score
My first batch (5 months ago) was at 3%. I have yet to encounter slime. Today's was at 5% SF. I'll be curious. Might be mouse bait.

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should make a GM castille tomorrow. Do you think patch EO would lose too much scent over the year? I forgot to hold back a tester bar from my prior batches... my niece took off with my last one without me noticing it.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always make one batch in Jan or Feb, next month my batch will be ready to take down from the rack. I only make it fragrance and color free and also superfat 1-2% but unless using a bath pouf I still find it rather gelatinous, but have customers that love it

penelopejane

Reaction score
This is the one and only soap I can reliably make.
I never put fragrance in it but I do add Manuka honey and or vanilla bean paste to it sometimes.

DH has eczema and prefers it completely plain but is interested to see if the Manuka honey makes a difference to his skin.

I am making another plain batch tomorrow.

Last edited:

Deedles

Reaction score
So...is making a New Year's Castile soap a good luck thing with soapers? Kinda like eating black eyed peas and cornbread? I could make soap for luck before eating black eyes! haha!

Latest posts