New Year Castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know ... I like my Castile made in as a traditional manner as possible, without any fragrance, coloring, liquids other than water, etc., although admittedly, I'm pretty old-school when it comes to a lot of things. (you should see my really cool straight razor & Belgian Coticule hone collection!).

Made my first soap of 2016 (in fact my first in over 3 months!!) - a 1lb batch of Castile.

Does the type of OO matter? I usually use the lighter coloured OO in my soaps but have used EVOO for this

Made my first soap of 2016 (in fact my first in over 3 months!!) - a 1lb batch of Castile.

Does the type of OO matter? I usually use the lighter coloured OO in my soaps but have used EVOO for this

It doesn't seem to matter. EVOO may have a bit of a creamy green colour at first cut but it pales to white/ cream over time.

I know I'm late to the party but I'm going to jump in on this and hopefully make a GM Castile on Monday. I've never tried Castile but I love my 75% OO Bastille.

My kiddo has been on Christmas break and there's no way I can make soap with him in the house.

I just poured a 2 lb batch of castile, its in the oven as we speak. I did try a batch of the lye heavy castile too but it has some issues, still not sure if its going to be ok.

Next weekend I'll be making a couple batches. A girl at work loved the castille I brought her (touch and go bringing someone a bar of soap ... ) so she wants to make some. I'll have a batch in the oven from the night before so I can say "and in 24 hours .... ".

What is the general consensus on superfat? I usually like my soaps quite low at 3% so think I might go with that as a trial?
I did a 5% discount in September of 2014. The bars are wonderful right now. Yes they are creamy vs bubbly, but my wife is in love with them.

If you already know you like 3% then use 3% ... I'm sure it will be fine.

The one-year old Castile I made with a 1% SF has superior lather characteristics over the two-year old Castile I made with a 5% SF. Understand that 'superior' is relative to Castile, but regardless ... it is still very noticeable. YMMV

The one-year old Castile I made with a 1% SF has superior lather characteristics over the two-year old Castile I made with a 5% SF. Understand that 'superior' is relative to Castile, but regardless ... it is still very noticeable. YMMV
Understood. Nobody in this house associates "Castille" with "lather." They reach for the coconut salt bar if they want that. :)

Castile is such a simple soap, its perfect for a beginner. Plus, how will you ever get to the point of having too much soap if you don't make soap?:)

I don't much care for castile and I have enough curing for now but I think I might try the excess water/lye heavy castile if I can dig up the thread with the instructions.

Very true... Maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks :)

I like the idea of a New Years soap too, but only being I have 1 batch under my belt, I'd better hold off and try it another time.

I'd love to get to the day where I have so many soaps to try I'm not chomping at the bit to use one that is curing.

It helps if you push it to the furthest, darkest corner of the closet where you're the least likely to look.

My first batch for 2016 is poured and set to cool. I ended up with about a 1/4 size bar (I'm using individual molds) that I may use for a 3-6-9 month tester just for comparison sake.
It felt so good to get back in the soap kitchen after my holiday sabbatical.

Here's my New Year Castile. First soap of 2016

What's with the paler outer rim?

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1451837570.986674.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1451837582.240680.jpg

I guess with 50% - 40% lye concentration also, castile might even make better lather...

Hi all! I made my first batch of castile soap tonight! I'm so excited about it. It's just a 1 pound batch. I have been soaping for about four months and am so obsessed with learning new techniques/buying & using different oils, etc. I don't know that I have ever used a bar of castile soap -- but I love the beauty of a plain, uncolored, no fragrance soap. I did a 4% superfat and did cpop (which I have never done before).

Latest posts

Back