NEW wood mold is warped on the bottom

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleduckysoaper

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to soap making and just purchased my first wooden mold. The mold is brand new, never been used. I believe it is made out of 1/2 pine. (not sure of the wood) The book I am using said to cut separate strips of freezer paper to line each side of the mold. I did this (used a ruler to get straight edges) and after painstakingly getting it into the mold... I found gaps at the bottom on the shorter sides because the bottom of the NEW wooden mold is warped. MY QUESTION IS: is it common to receive a WARPED wooden mold???

I tried to fix it by relining the short sides with a "lip" so it went under the bottom piece of freezer paper.

SO, do I complain to the person I bought the mold from?
SO, HOW do I line this mold? ... the correct way? ... there MUST be a better way...

P.S. I just poured this soap today, should I expect problems unmolding my soap tomorrow... any ideas??? suggestions??

Seifenblasen posted an excellent tutorial on how to line a wooden mold:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34077
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34078

Can you contact your supplier about the warped mold? A reputable seller would offer to make it right. However, if you are a bit impatient like me :oops: , you're probably rearing to go and don't want to wait for a replacement :lol:

If it doesn't leak, you should be ok with getting it out I think. Some soap might get through where the gap is, and it would probably stick a little there, but you should be abl to get it out.

I don't have anyone handy with wood at home, so I bought a 1lb and a 2 lb one from a company I found online. I didn't notice any warping on mine, and would probably complain to who I bought it from if I did. How frustrating!

If they don't work with you when you contact them, maybe leave a review in the shopping recommendations section.

Here is a link to another method of using freezer paper to line a mold. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbm6tXKuZsI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbm6tXKuZsI[/ame] I find it easier than cutting individual pieces. There's also a tutorial that is in the stickies at the top of this forum that is very similar to this video, but a little different. Hope this helps!

I make all of my molds. Some of my first ones were made from 3/4" pine and despite being sealed still warped a little on the bottom. I do not use pine anymore and do not have a problem anymore either.

Bruce

I've used Glad Press-n-Seal to line my wooden mold, sticky side to the wood. It's quick, but even if you do avoid wrinkles, the material isn't as smooth and shiny as freezer paper. I like it because it's quick and dirty.

Hausfrau007 said:
I've used Glad Press-n-Seal to line my wooden mold, sticky side to the wood. It's quick, but even if you do avoid wrinkles, the material isn't as smooth and shiny as freezer paper. I like it because it's quick and dirty.

Quick and Dirty? LOL! I cannot find freezer paper at my local wally world. Seems ppl don't butcher and wrap meat here. So I have found cellophane basket wrap and have been using that. I don't want to spend 20+ bucks on amazon buying a giant roll for my little wooden mold. I doubt very much that I will ever use that large of amount of freezer paper.

I hear you regarding the freezer paper. I've made a half-assed attempt to look for it, couldn't find it right away and gave up. The press-n-seal is for the non-perfectionist. It works really really well without any fuss but the sides of the soaps are a tiny bit rough; they feel a little bit like cotton fabric after.

Slightly off topic:

Has anyone experimented with building a wood mold lined with acrylic plates? I've seen Acrylic molds that you don't line but aren't considered as insulating as wood.

Rich

P.S. Anyone tries this I've like a few!

Back