New soap recipe to try

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuneP

Reaction score
Since I haven't been able to make any soaps lately (lots of time spent at Dr's offices), and waiting for all those WS orders to arrive! My Dec 31st order is finally in the mail. I've been biding my time watching soap making videos, using soap software to create some possible new recipes to try and dealing with annoying Apple device problems.

Last night I used the soap calc software to come up with a recipe with 56% hard oils. Most of the recipes I've been creating have been with 50% or less hard oils to hopefully be best for doing swirls; but I want to make an oatmeal honey and a calendula soap, without swirls, so I thought I'd up the hard oil amounts and this is what I came up with.

The preview doesn't seem to be showing my photo, so if it doesn't come up when I post, you can check out my blog below where it is showing.

I also started a soap blog: www.ladyjunesoap.blogspot.com as way to keep track of what I'm doing and a place to keep photos of my soaps in case this old laptop of mine dies.

That looks like a decent recipe - sometimes I soap with a lot more hard oils or lard, but I don't tend to do swirls. Your CO is on the high end (21%), but you've superfatted at 7% so that should work well. I'm not sure what the 5% rice bran oil gets you since its so similar to Olive, but there's no harm in it either.

2nd attempt to post recipe

Don't know why my photo isn't uploading. I've uploaded photos before just fine. The file shows up in the box but doesn't seem to start uploading and the uploading button disappears after the file is selected. Any ideas of how to get this to work?

Thanks,
June

Rice bran oil

That looks like a decent recipe - sometimes I soap with a lot more hard oils or lard, but I don't tend to do swirls. Your CO is on the high end (21%), but you've superfatted at 7% so that should work well. I'm not sure what the 5% rice bran oil gets you since its so similar to Olive, but there's no harm in it either.
I put the rice bran in since it says it's good for mature, delicate, or sensitive skin. I think I also found by removing 5 of the olive and replacing it with the rice bran, it altered some of the numbers to a range I wanted. Sorry, but I don't remember off hand, exactly how and what changed.

I just check the qualities of the olive and rice bran and it looks like I wanted a bit more palmitic to make up for the lack of palm oil. The Rice bran also has potentially more stearic and more linoleic than the olive and I think I wanted to up the linoleic up a bit more.

The lye calculator is a great tool to learn about the soap materials and how a little change here and there can bring a recipe up to a level that you want.

Thanks so much for our input!

June

Last edited:
I love rice bran this is my rice bran hot process soap ImageUploadedBySoap Making1421804456.319965.jpg

Latest posts

Back