New biodiesel soap category

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knicelyr

Reaction score
I would like to add an index or category for soap from the biodiesel process. I would be happy to be the moderator.

My background,
I have been making soap from the biodiesel byproducts for about 2 1/2 years. I have read at least 10 books by different authors on how to make soap. I have spoken directly to Catherine Failor and Susan Miller about soap making, and have applied their knowledge to my process.

I am in the process of authoring a book on how to use the biodiesel byproducts in making soap. My approach has been to use traditional soap ingredients and methods when making soap from the bidoesel byproduct.

I am writing software that will allow you to use the byproducts as just another ingredient in a soap recipe. It takes into account the following about the byproducts. A mechanical SAP value, a mechanical INS value if making bar soap and some workable ratios.

I make liquid, bar, and cream soaps from the biodiesel byproducts. I make and have written about both CP and HP soap using the biodiesel byproducts.

I currently post on the subject of making soap from our byproducts on the Infopop Biodiesel forum.

That's pretty cool .. question though .. how in the world do you make cream soap from biodiesel ?? That's pretty unique !!

knicelyr said:
I would like to add an index or category for soap from the biodiesel process. I would be happy to be the moderator.

My background,
I have been making soap from the biodiesel byproducts for about 2 1/2 years. I have read at least 10 books by different authors on how to make soap. I have spoken directly to Catherine Failor and Susan Miller about soap making, and have applied their knowledge to my process.

I am in the process of authoring a book on how to use the biodiesel byproducts in making soap. My approach has been to use traditional soap ingredients and methods when making soap from the bidoesel byproduct.

I am writing software that will allow you to use the byproducts as just another ingredient in a soap recipe. It takes into account the following about the byproducts. A mechanical SAP value, a mechanical INS value if making bar soap and some workable ratios.

I make liquid, bar, and cream soaps from the biodiesel byproducts. I make and have written about both CP and HP soap using the biodiesel byproducts.

I currently post on the subject of making soap from our byproducts on the Infopop Biodiesel forum.

isnt palm oil and biodiesal product?

I think a new category would be nice. Especially since you're so knowledgeable!

Beachgurl,
I use a similar process to cream soap made with traditional ingredients to make my cream soaps. I've just started to work with cream soaps, Catherine Failor sent me a booklet that she authored about cream soaps.

In general what I have done is treat the glycerin byproduct as though it is already soap, which it is. It just needs some "finishing" and then it can be used just like any ingredient. So I define the properties of the glycerin byproduct and apply traditional soap techniques.

I use the glycerin byproduct as a base and add other ingredients to add the properties I desire.

If I'm making bar soap I add hard oils or fatty acids. I adjust the latherability by adding coconut oil, castor oil or myristic acid (could use ricinoleic acid, but way too expensive)

If I'm making liquid soap I add conditioning and lathering ingredients along with some borax as a thickener after dilution.

For the cream soaps I use a mixture of KOH and NaOH glycerin byproduct and add steric acid along with a mix of KOH and NaOH. This is based on the information that Catherine sent me. I'm still in the process of perfecting the cream soaps. I've pretty much nailed the bar and liquid.

My book will be ready in a month or so, at least to a limited audience. I have not written the section about the cream soaps just yet, and am working on a few more recipes for it.

honor,

Palm oil is commonly used to make biodiesel in warmer climates. I'm in Michigan, so we try to stay clear of solid oils when making bio. But if you can get a hold of glycerin from palm oil bio, then making that into bar soap would be a breeze. Right now bar soap is touchy with the soft oil glycerin byproduct, but easily accomplished with the addition of some hardening oils or fatty acids.

I vote YES
It's not something that I'm interested in, but I know that I have seen a few posts on here from people asking about it.
It would be great to have such a knowledgable person as the mod, and would just be another step to making SMF the BEST soaping forum around!

Respectfully, if we add a bio forum, we would then need to add a castile forum and then a vegetarian forum & then a veagan forum & so on & so forth. Then maybe split the CP into an HP and a CPOP & a rebatch and a hand milled.

I think it is important to not split the world of CP soap. Bio is made by the CP method, it is just your choice of ingredients that makes it differ & we can't have a new forum for every new variation in ingredients.

Having too many separate forums causes confusion. I believe we have too many different places to look for answers now. I was actually trying to figure out how to merge a few.

There are power in numbers so we want more views in our forums, not few due to extra places to look.

I appreciate you offer & knowledge, but I do not think it is practical or beneficial.

I vote no. It's soapmaking, right? Leave it in soapmaking.

perhaps change the name of this area from CP to just plain "soap forum" or "lye soap" or something but I see no reason to separate it out otherwise. that's what threads are form

I do see your point, but bio is not limited to CP.

In fact things work much better as HP.

There are some significant differences in the glycerin byproduct soap, especially the byproduct itself and how to use it with traditional ingredients. In addition there is another byproduct not talked about much but makes great soap. That is the soap from the demethed biodiesel.

CP, HP, liquid, bar, cream are all possible with using the glycerin byproduct, but there are significant differences to the traditional soap making processes.

I personally think it’s different enough to warrant a category, but I do understand if those that run the forum do not. I will do my best to monitor the forum and try to help with Bio related questions.

Hi Rick,

The CP Forum includes all of the soap you have mentioned. I find Bio-Diesel and Bio-Diesel fascinating and I am looking forward to learning more about from you. However any soap that is made with lye is part of the CP Group whether you HP, Whipp, Cream, Liquid, Shampoo or whatever it. So this is why it simply doesn't make sense to create a separate forum for Bio-Diesel because then we would need a Forum for HP, Cream Soap, Whipped Soap, Shampoo, Liquid Soap which simply does not make sense. All of us who make CP make soap using Lye and all of us are in interesting in learning more about the different techniques within the art of soapmaking.

We are thrilled you have joined us and truly do look forward to learning more about Bio-Diesel Soap.

Cheers
Lindy

Actually that makes good sense Lindy.

Part of my goal has been to make a point that we can use the biodiesel byproducts as just another ingredient in making soap. And with a bit of work we can do just that with the byproducts.

It's also been to dispel some misunderstanding about the biodiesel byproducts.

I hope I can spark some interest in our byproducts within your community.

Thank you for the welcome into the forum.

Bio threads will get many more views here than they would in their own segregated forum.

My husband's current fav soap is a bio soap from here: http://www.washtyme.com/ formerly Brown Soap Co.

Rick I just saw the Dirty Jobs segment on Bio-Diesel and I find the whole process absolutely fascinating and really do look forward to learn ing a whole bunch more about it... I believe there is a lot more interest in this subject that you may have first thought. Thank you for being generous enough to share it with all of us.

Chow
Lindy

Okay girls I agree, when you put it that way.
I need to learn not to be soapist!!
You are all so logical.
And you are right, if the questions get raised and answered here, I will read them and learn something, whereas if there was a whole other section I wouldn't even visit it.
I hope you stay Rick and impart your knowledge to those would like to learn!

Hello everybody.
First time here, this is my first post.
I have found this forum thanks to Rick, whom I know from the Biodiesel Infopop forum.
First, I want to make something clear: for those who believe Rick knows about soapmaking, with or without biodiesel byproduct, I can say only one thing: YES, HE DOES! A whole lot.
Me, on the other hand, I'm as rookie as they come. So far, I've just made a successful batch of CP soap, and one successful batch of...ahem...garbage!
So I come here to learn as much as I can.
So, that's it for now. I just wanted to introduce myself.
For those of you who are interested in biodiesel, you're welcome to check us out here:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/498605551

Back